Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:50 AM   #1

hi everyone,
im a photographer that currently uses a fuji s2 as my digital solution, when clients dont require digital i have 35mm, 645, 67, 5x4 & 10x8 to choose from. my problem is that i shoot tethered to the computer in the studio so the image can be seen, but the firewire connection has become unstable recently. my question is should i go for a digital mf back or buy another slr of some sort? is there a enough difference in quality and future proofness (?) to warrant the extra cost. any opinions and advice greatly appreciated. regards andy
andybuk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:10 AM   #2

You are asking a very expensive question, we need a lot more information.

The first, is can you really afford it? Digital MF backs are very, expensive (last I checked.) Maybe you should be considering a really good film scanner instead. Yes, you'll still have the hassle of developing the film but it would be a much cheaper solution that would sill produce good results. Yes, you don't get the immedate feedback, and if that is required then this solution isn't workable. But I thought I should mention it. (Of course a quick check shows a drum scanner is $5K or $10K, so that isn't really "cheap" just cheaper. But a Nikon CoolScan 9000 is $2K and that is a really good scanner and can do MF.)

How large a print do you make with them. I've generally heard that the Canon 1Ds MkII compares very favorably with scanned MF. I don't know about digital MF. But it would mean a new system as it uses Canon lenses, not Nikon like the S2.

I gotta get to work, but that leaves you with something to think about.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:24 AM   #3

unstable in what way? what is your hardware setup?

can/does you business support the use of the back?

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:09 PM   #4

Have you verified you firewire cable, and or card have not gone bad? I would suspect one of these and try a replacement first.

MF backs as mentioned are very expensive, and unless you can recover your investment and show profit in the 2-3 years before they go obsolete and need replacement to keep competitive youhave a problem.

Peter.

Quote of the day:
It's Magic: Turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5

thanks for your replies. scanning is not an option as clients like to take the image straight away and put into there designs there and then on screen. as for image size well i have had posters made for shop windows and they have held up pretty well (with a bit of interpolation). advise me if im wrong but the latest lot of digital equipment really only improves image size(im not going to go billboard size) dynamic range (which is important) and sharpness. my first impression is that anything more higher resolution than is available at the moment will probably be waisted ao the back would possibly last longer than 3 years afterall i had one of the first s2's and that is still producing half decent images. thanks again for all your advice and opinions. regards, andy
Attached Images

andybuk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:51 PM   #6

OH NO don't show that, my wife has been after me to rebuild the kitchen for a couple of years now...:blah:

I just read one of your other posts from long ago, on wireless:-)

Some of the newer Nikon pro models, and most of the Canons (20D, 1d-mkII,1ds-mkII) have a wireless addon option.

Also the Phase-one p-series

http://www.phaseone.com/content/p1di.../p-series.aspx

Peter.

Quote of the day:
It's Magic: Turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:10 PM   #7

Clearly the cheapest solution is to get what you have working again (Assuming its sufficient.) I have little experience with firewire, so I'd look to the suggestion of others there.

If you're going for posters, I can see how MF would be helpful. Ok. The 1Ds MkII can produce some really good images and I bet would compete with MF output in most ways. And you can use it teathered for the real-time aspect you want. Is it really enough? I don't know. But most major cities have camera stores which will let you rent equipment... at least a 1Ds, maybe the MkII. That and a good lens would get you a quick test if it would work for you. That would be way cheaper then phase one back:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...irstlook.shtml

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote