Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2002, 2:52 PM   #1

Default 3 v. 4 megapixels

How noticeable is the difference in image quality betweetn the best consumer 3 and 4 megapixel cameras. Is the cost justified? More specifically, how does the image quality change from say the S230 to the S40? And within the 4 megapixel range, do the cameras like the coolpix 4300 tend to take better pictures than the ultra compact ones? Thanks so much.
Aaron Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2002, 4:28 PM   #2

The difference between 3mp and 4mp proably will not be noticeable. A good subcompact camer with manual settings will compete with the compact cameras. The difference, as I veiw it, is the ability to add filters, lens, etc to the compact cameras.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:36 AM   #3

Thank you gibsonpd3620. May I ask why no one else has offered an opinion? Is my question stupid? I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Singer
Thank you gibsonpd3620. May I ask why no one else has offered an opinion? Is my question stupid? I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
Aaron Singer,
Of course not because your question is stupid , just because some people (like me ) canít give a good pertinent answer ( like Gibson ) , so they prefer not to confuse you more

3,4 or 5 Mpix worth or not depends on what you are using the pic for.
If itís to view on PC screen ( as me most of the time), you gonna have to resize it ( downsize it) anyway to have on entirely on screen.
The interest of high Pix count is you can zoom in, crop a portion of the pic, yet still have good resolution ; and for printing purpose, itís good to have high resolution too.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:25 AM   #5

Aaron

Your question is not stupid. My friend has ordered the C50 from Olympus. I can not wait for it to come in so I can play with it. It will be his first digital camera. He wanted a camera that he can slip into his pocket and take good pictures. He has no desire to learn much more than point and shoot. He will ask me alot of questions and he may think some are stupid, but they will not be. I have already bookmarked this web site for him on his computer. There are many who participate on this web site with far more knowledge than I and is it fun to learn what they have to say. The digital camera world is fun.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:28 AM   #6

Thanks for your response. I don't really have a need to crop and zoom. I think the largest I would want to enlarge a picture would be to around 8X10. That being said, is three megapixels sufficient? Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:50 AM   #7

Based on your requirements, 3mp should work well.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:03 PM   #8

I agree that 3 MP will be fine for 8x10s. Even better 8x10s can be had with higher resolution in some cases, naturally, but you'd ususlly never know the difference. Just by the math, in going from a 3 MP image to 4, you gain about 11% in size at the same print resolution. Not a huge difference. But most 4 MP cameras do have better features and somewhat higher quality components than most 3 MP cameras.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:11 PM   #9

What do you guys think of the s230? I love that it's small enough to put in my pocket, but not if the pictures are gonna suck. Thanks so much for your time.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:39 PM   #10

Actually s230 v. DSC-P9? Both small, one 3 one 4 megapixels. All other features being equal, does the image quality justify the $100? Thanks!