Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:13 AM   #1

I am going to be upgrading from Elements 2.0 to the full CS and was wondering if anyone can recommend some books. I'm going to assume (maybe incorrectly) that I'll be able to do everything I know how to do in Elements in CS in a very similar way. Is there a book that will help me understand the differences in how to do things with CS (as opposed to Elements) and what the additional features are? Any help is greatly appreciated.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:38 AM   #2

Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers by Martin Evening Printed by Focal Press. it is more driven ffor the photographer the the "PS Artist".
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3

I'm a fan of "PhotoShop CS for Digital Photographers", but it's what I call a "Recipe" book. It doesn't go into lots of detail, but it shows you a situation and how they fixed (often several ways.) And they give very clear, precise directions, including pictures showing you the menu choices and such, and before and after pictures. Very nice.

I find it to be a good "companion" book. But it isn't a book about learning the power of PS. For that, you really should look elsewhere.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the Kelbe book (I have his Elements book).
Quote:
I find it to be a good "companion" book. But it isn't a book about learning the power of PS. For that, you really should look elsewhere.
Eric - what would you say it is a good 'companion' to? I do like the concept behind his books - showing you how to accomplish a certain feat - it just seems like I have a lot more things I want to do and at least with Elements, it did not appear as if he scratched the surface on a lot of the different tools. Is there another source that would provide more information?

Thanks!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:02 PM   #5

Well, I did a bit more research on another forum I'm on. Here were some answers that I dug up:
"Professional Photoshop," by Dan Margulis
-but it is not for beginners. I would definitely check it out before buying.
"Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" by Katrin Eismann
-good for advanced beginners and more advanced.

Both of these books are oriented towards preparing a photo for print.

Martin Evening's (sp?) "Photoshop for Photographers,"
-but he liked Eismann's book better.

Photoshop Artistry by Barry Haynes - it does a great job explaining the many powerful features of Photoshop.
- And the guy who suggested this is a stunning landscape photographer.

Blatner & Fraser's "Real World Photoshop CS"
The guy who recommended this is very good with PS and a good photographer to boot.

You might find this article interesting:
http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../mg0703-1.html

While directly relevant to what you asked, its about using PS on pictures (not direclty about books on PS.)

Also, there is a HUGE amount of good information on www.luminous-landscape.com. Not only are the pictures great, but the info is great too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote