Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:45 PM   #11

Well, I guess it might have problems with this shade of red. As I said, many other cameras have the same problem.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1D2/E1D2A8.HTM

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:26 PM   #12

sdh wrote:
Quote:
Update: I shot the same exact picture in RAW and TIFF....
This is most intriguing... and doesn't make sense.

An image recorded in RAW format is just an array of numbers representing the amount of photons that accumulate at each of the sensors's photo sites during the time that the shutter is open. The RAW data file should record information directly from the CCD sensor, bypassing all in-camera processing, including Bayer interpolation; meaning that a RAW image should not _know_ anything about color. Color information is provided as part of the Bayer interpolation alogrothm which is a function of the basic physical layout of the Bayer separation filter and the camera settings recorded in the meta data part of the image file.

Could you try doing the RAW to JPEG [or any other format] conversion using a RAW converter other than the one Sony supplies [e.g., ACR]? The problem could lie with the Bayer conversion algorithm Sony uses both for in-camera and their RAW conversion s/w.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:52 AM   #13

Here is an example that appears very similar from the Canon G6.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12155001

Scroll down to the second picture (the boy with the red pants).

You will see that the black detail on the pants is blurred and the picture seems soft ONLY around the red colour pants while all the rest of the shot is in quite excellent focus. I expect the same thing is happening.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:32 PM   #14
sdh

jawz wrote:
Quote:
sdh wrote:
Quote:
Update: I shot the same exact picture in RAW and TIFF....
Could you try doing the RAW to JPEG [or any other format] conversion using a RAW converter other than the one Sony supplies [e.g., ACR]? The problem could lie with the Bayer conversion algorithm Sony uses both for in-camera and their RAW conversion s/w.
jawz, the only RAW converter I have is what came with the camera. I don't have photoshop (yet). Does PS have aRAW converter for the V3? Is ACR or another RAW converter available for free?

Or, can I upload my RAW file somewhere? I'd looooooove to let the guru's here go at that file and try to improve it but I don't have a personal website where I could make it accessible.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:38 PM   #15
sdh

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
Here is an example that appears very similar from the Canon G6.
Nice catch Meryl! It doesn't look as bad as my example, but they're also completely different photos.It still makes a point - Id love the chance to take my photo w/ a G6.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:25 AM   #16

I have noticed the same thing with bright red objects. Details get blurred. My camera is a Kodak DX4330 but a friend of mine regularly sends me pictures taken with a Fujifilm camera and every now and then see the same effect with red objects. Most notably, there is a sign in her house saying "Private Property" or such in red letters on black and the sign always appears blurry if it appears in a picture even though the entire picture is sharp.

Seems to be a problem with the image sensor.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote