Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:28 AM   #1

We are currently updatin our monitor and wondered if anyone has a recommendation that would be good,especially where photographs are concerned.

We have been looking at the Sony SDM-HS94PS.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computi...223517/details

Does anyone have any experience of this monitor? It'll be used in conjuction with G-Force 6,600 GT Graphics Card dvi

Thanks
Padsnbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:11 AM   #2

I can't really comment on that specific monitor, but here are a few simple things.

In general only the best LCD and similar tech are better than even "good" CRT's. Sony does make some of the best LCD's, but this is not one of them. Their best is way over $1,000USD.

But could this be a "good" one, or at least good enough? I don't know. There are other reasons to pick a display than raw picture quailty. Not having flicker is a good thing. Not taking up much room on the desktop is also good. Lets not forget the less weight.

Something you should consider just as much is to get a hardware profiling device. Something like the Monaco OPTRIX XR, or even a spyder. That is really an important step if you want to get the most out of your pictures. And if you print, you a printer that has profiles for its paper and inks.

Oh, and make sure you don't get one that works on CRTs only. Most now work on both techs, but older ones do not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:17 AM   #3

whats really funny is that sony doesn't make the plates themselves. LG makes them
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:49 PM   #4

Ya, I remembered something about that when writing my post. They dumped the CRT market completely a little while ago.. . but were caught flat footed in the LCD market. I wondered if they caught up yet, but I guess not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote