Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:15 AM   #1

Default are extended warranties necessary??

:? i am going to purchase a 7Hi this week. the ?? i have is , are
extended warranties really necessary. the site i am getting my camera from is selling a 3yr ext warr. for 99$. please give some advice!!!
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:22 AM   #2

If your camera comes with a one year warranty, I do not think an extended warranty is required. If you do decide to purchase the warranty, do research on the warranty company.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:29 PM   #3

Well, here's my opinion. If the camera is pretty expensive, the $99 isn't all that much to pay in case something goes wrong. However, if the camera is say $300...maybe you don't need it. True, they do usually come with some manufacturers warranty (I thought mine was 90 day...I'm probably wrong though). I was given the camera as a present and they went ahead and bought the 3-year extended warranty ($150 bucks I think). I think they said they paid about $800 total for the camera + warranty. To me, the $150 bucks is worth it if something goes wrong.

Something else to keep in mind. Some companies (like Toshiba) offer to replace your broken camera for a rebuilt camera should something happen.

I ran into a never ending loop when I thought my camera was broken. I downloaded a firmware upgrade and the camera wouldn't work (I didn't use a larger media card). Before I fixed the problem myself, I thought it needed to go into a repair shop. Well, long story short (kinda), Toshiba said it was a software problem and Circuit City (where the camera & warranty was purchased from said it was a hardware problem). No one wanted to accept liability. This went back and forth...until I just fixed it myself. So yes, check to see how the warranty is set up. Sometimes it can be a hassle, then again, it may save you $ in the long run.
aerospaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:32 PM   #4

I know that Olympus offers manufactor warranties that are extended beyond their 1 year warranty. Check with Minolta and see if they provide the same service.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:08 PM   #5

Actually, just today I came across what seems to be an excellent warranty company: Mack. Online you can get their warrantees quite cheaply: http://store.yahoo.com/interdiscount...5yearstil.html
is one such.
I had always shied away from extended warrents as being too expensive but I will use them on future purchases. You need to buy them within 30 days of purchase.
Also some credit cards double the warranty period for free.
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:34 PM   #6

Hi pischwartz, I went to the "mack" site, it don't list Nikon digital cameras, only 35mm nikon's.
The site seems hard to navagate, and I only see film cameras listed, nothing on digital, I clicked on Nikon and it showed 35mm.
:?:
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote