Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:30 PM   #1

Default overexposure- very bad- c3040z

i have an olympus C3040z.... never fully figured out how to make it take that perfect photo. even tweaking with it for a half hour cannot yield acceptable photos. in low light, it can take decent photographs when put in 4 second shutter and such, but in flash mode it is very dark around the subject, all white objects are SEVERELY overexposed, to the point of just being a blob on the image. how can i configure this camera to take normal shots? it just will not find a happy medium. either dark and pale, or contrasty and overexposed. i have a few nice ones from outdoor zoom shots, but once i take a full scene in (sky, ground, etc) it is unacceptable, being darker in the dark areas and way too bright in the white areas. i have heard it overexposes, but mine seems to take it to a whole new level.
indrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:43 PM   #2

Are you using auto or manual mode? If you are using auto mode, press the shutter button halfway, you will see a green or amber light displayed when the camera is focused. Press the shutter button all the way. If you are using the manual mode, are you using a tripod?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:48 PM   #3

i've tried all values.... auto and manual, and everything in manual. (or so i would hope) i have done 16" to 1/800" shutter, -2.0 to +2.0 exposure, aperture 1.8 to 10.0, all different flash settings, white balance, macro, spot, the list goes on.... i am looking through this manual of theirs and all it says for overexposure is "lower exposure value" or "take from a different angle". i would be very disappointed if i could not take a standard outdoor shot of my backyard without it overexposing.....

oh, and yes i use a tripod.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:54 PM   #4

It sounds to me you may have tried that I know to try. Is the camera still under warranty? Do you have a different smart media card that you have tried?
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:09 PM   #5

yessir.... i have tried two. one actually made grainy photos, it was the one that came with the camera... bought a new one from circuit city (yes, mock me if you will... but i did not have the time to order one online.)

i do not know if it is still under warranty, but i almost want a new camera to take better photos. i look at people's photos posted on the internet with standard cameras and they blow mine away! im stuck here fiddling with white balance and such. if i leave it on auto, it comes out yellow or blue... depending if i turn on flash. turn on flash, it comes out bluish or just extremely overexposed. turn off flash, and the entire photo is amber; that is unless i first set the white level for that shot. it sure would be nice to just get a minolta or something....
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:59 PM   #6

Seems to me you might have a defective camera. I would take it back to the store where you bought it and ask them to check it out - assuming you didn't buy it online which might pose a problem.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:08 PM   #7

You can send the camera to Olympus for a cost of repair if it is not under warranty. If it is under warranty, whatever method you ship to Olmpus is the same method they will ship it back.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:01 AM   #8

Take the batteries out and leave them out overnight. Then put them back in. Turn the camera on, set to P (Program) mode, and it should work fine. Put the manual away for a little while, and don't open any menus and change anything.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote