Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

I have not seen this discussed anywhere on any forum. Has anyone successfully negociated a better deal (over 5 or 10 percent) on the total price of a cam plus acc. simply by asking or is this just not done? Would it be out of line to request a free battery or card? Seems to me after spending 500 to 1000 dollars (even if they are Canadian) that the dealer should be receptive to a lower offer than retail. Anyone been successfull?
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2

Have you ever noticed that when a post goes ignored that it is usually inappropriate or just plain stupid? I stand corrected.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

dwssas wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever noticed that when a post goes ignored that it is usually inappropriate or just plain stupid? I stand corrected.
Please don't judge yourself this way. It could be that nobody that has read this post to date has tried this themselves and been successful, making a response pointless. I have tried myself though. Recently bought a new CD radio for my car that stated it was remote control enabled. I was disappointed that on opening the box to find this was optional, so went back to the store and managed to talk them into refunding me the cost of a remote controller in order that I would keep the radio. So it can work out OK. You just have to ask. My favourite ploy though is to find the right price online and go to my local store and ask for them to match the price. Happens frequently, though quite a few do have this policy anyway but you won't get the deal if you don't mention it. You generally find the smaller independent stores will be more receptive to this kind of haggling as they often don't have to sanction it with 'Head office'. I have also negotiated little extras to seal the deal, I just convince them that I could buy it cheaper elsewhere but would much rather do business with them. More often than not this is true anyway. So give it a try.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:34 PM   #4

I do serious price research on something that is expensive. I often by locally and if there is a place that I like that doesn't have the best price I often tell them that I can get it lower at X.

Because I develop a relationship with that store (come back again and again, going to the same sales person) they usually give me the lower price or say outright that they can't match it. Does it always work? No. But it does work.

I have never just said "I want 10% off". I say "I can buy it at X for $99 or $110." And they often sell it to me at $99 (or at least lower than $110.)

But I bet this works because I come back. I don't know if they would do this for just anyone. Some stores realize that treating the customer right brings them back and they make it up in the long term. (If you aren't loyal I don't blame them for not doing it.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:52 PM   #5
Administrator

It's been quite a while,but Isuccessfully negotiated a discount on two different digital cameras.One wasan Olympus C-2500L (display model atCircuit City, which was the last one they had), and the other was a Sony DSC-F505 (open box return at Best Buy).

These were already discounted. But,I managed to get further discounts via "haggling" at the time (with the salepeople getting their managers involved after I made offers on them).

I did look for (and find) some things wrong with the camerasduring the haggling process. For example, the Sony was missing a cable, and the Olympus was missing the remote control and memory card. LOL

I don't know if that's still possible anymore with a larger chain (it's been a while since I tried getting a discount on a digicam). I also don't know if they would have discountedunopened cameras in the same way.

I tend to look for bargains when buying (and I don't have a problem with open box gear if it saves me money).

From my perspective, you wouldn't have anything to lose by trying to haggle some.

P.S. -- in both of the above cases, I was assured that the cameras would be considered new by the manufacturer for warranty purposes. I also had them put in writing that I could return them without any restocking feeif not satisifed (and they even reluctantly agreed to that part).I don't remember the time frame, but it was reasonable.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I do serious price research on something that is expensive. I often by locally and if there is a place that I like that doesn't have the best price I often tell them that I can get it lower at X.

Because I develop a relationship with that store (come back again and again, going to the same sales person) they usually give me the lower price or say outright that they can't match it. Does it always work? No. But it does work.

I have never just said "I want 10% off". I say "I can buy it at X for $99 or $110." And they often sell it to me at $99 (or at least lower than $110.)

But I bet this works because I come back. I don't know if they would do this for just anyone. Some stores realize that treating the customer right brings them back and they make it up in the long term. (If you aren't loyal I don't blame them for not doing it.)

Eric
I do [have done] exactly as eric s with great satisfaction. I am lucky to have a 'true professional' camera store nearby that believes in customer satisfaction. Their help/ advice is worth a lot to me, so I'm willing to accept the fact that I am not getting the very lowest possible price on the planet, and they are interested in continued revenue from me and are willing to get their [deserved] profit in smaller incremets garnered over time than on a one time sale at full retail price. Win-win situation all around.

These folks not only let me thoroughly test drive the Minolta A1 that I was interested in, they used their CF card, printed several shots that I took on their in-store printer--their ink/paper and most importantly; thier time. No hassel. They essentially met B&H mail order price [with shipping] and to top it all off, they installed the firmware upgrade for me before I left the store.

Am I a loyal customer? You bet. With a customer focused attitude like theirs how could anyone not be?
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:12 PM   #7

It doesn't hurt to try! The worst they can say is "no." I've haggled on items many times before. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But you won't know unless you try!

On my recent venture to purchase a new digital camera, I wasn'tsuccessful. I personally went to verious stores, as well as emailed and called thier customer service departments. Even though my haggling on this was unsuccessful, at least I wasn't left wondering "what if.." and I did try!

Good luck!!

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:23 AM   #8

In my case, it largely depends on where I bought the item. There are certain establishments (especially those found in large malls or the mall itself) that sells their item according to the tag price, while there are certain stores in the corner of that lonesome alley that already have lower prices and can still accomodate you with a few more discounts.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:29 AM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:

Eric
I agree that this could be a major factor in most cases Eric. I do go back to my local camera shop for pretty much all of my purchases and they always match web prices. But for me to become a loyal, regular customer, having this benefit of reduced prices, I had to be 'just anyone' with my first transaction of this type. I think we are all agreed that it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't know if I get pleasure or pain when the customer in front of me has just paid £125.00 for what I know I am about to pay £ 71.00. I do occasionally tell U.K. members the store in question, but draw the line at having a placard in front of the store telling everyone coming in to ask for discount. I think I might lose these little privileges.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote