Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:30 AM   #1

Hi,

I have literally just removed my Canon Powershot A75 from the box and powered it up.

The image on the LCD screen is crooked. Not by much, but perceptibly so. Kinda like a crooked painting on the wall.

What would you suggest?

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.
manualfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:39 AM   #2

return to Canon... or to the store you bought it from...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

Without a doubt, that is what I what intuitively do. Problem is, I'm in Canada, and i had family bring it back from a visit to the United States. Sigh.

Now I don't know what to do....

It was bought at CompUSA.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4

What might the impact be of this crooked LCD?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:55 AM   #5

The impact of the lcd being crooked will only apply to you looking at it (might be annoying) but it won't affect the output (pictures) that the camera takes. I experienced a similar situation when I got my A85. The first one I had was great in terms of the lcd, but the orientation sensor would stick sometimes (i.e. pictures taken in the normal orientation would be rotated) and the camera had quite a few hot pixels. I returned the unit to Future Shop and they replaced it. With the new one I immediately noticed something different about the lcd, it looked a different color and wasn't as sharp. On top of that, there are quite a few specs on dust on the lcd that I can't wipe off as they are between the lcd and the plastic covering. Both of these things really annoyed me intially, but upon further testing, this camera hasfar less hot pixels, and I beleive it takes slightly better pictures (as I had some old ones to compare the new ones too). Sorry for the long post, but basically what I'm trying to say, is that if it takes good pictures, the other details are very minor, and if you exchanged it you might find something wrong on the new one that this one doesn't have.

Pete
judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:04 AM   #6

Hi Pete,

Contrary to your apology, I appreciate your "long" (i.e. I read it as comprehensive) reply.

I couldn't live with the crooked LCD - it felt like an infected hangnail, which is trouble for a digital hypochondriac like myself. And so I returned it for a replacement.

Now I just have to hope for no more hangnails.

It realy bothers me that for an over $300 (CAD) piece of electronics, quality control does not eliminate such things, whether their impact is functional or otherwise.

Oh well, when I'm rich I'll buy a Leica. Maybe.

Thanks again, and happy shooting.

P.S. I'm already in love with this little baby.