Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:55 PM   #1

Are there any filters that might reduce the appearance of lens flares relfecting of metallic surfaces? I'm taking my digicam to the auto show again this year and would be interested in any such filter. thanks!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:27 PM   #2

polarizing filter
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:28 PM   #3

Polarizers will help a great deal!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:28 PM   #4

...great minds...
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:35 PM   #5

Thanks, guys! I'll look into getting one. What type of polarizer? I'm new to these...
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:00 PM   #6

I hate to be a buzzkill, but a polarizer will block reflected light from water or glass, but very specifically not metal. It basically has to do with how the light waves are reflected ect... but don't go out and spend a bunch on a polarizer just for metallic reflections.

Check this out, quoted from http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/photos/filters_uv_pol/#polq3

"3. What can I use a polarizing filter for?

The manufacturers will have us believe that you can block out any unwanted reflection in glass, water etc. You can not block out the reflections in metallic surfaces, since they do not polarize the light. But, although the manufacturers are right for the greater part, you will have to use the polarizer in the right way to get the above effect. This means, you will have to take your picture in a direction perpendicular to the sun (i.e. the line sun-reflecting surface has to be perpendicular to the line camera-surface), as is illustrated below:"

David

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:35 AM   #7

But are you seeing the reflection from metal or from a layer of wax/polish/Acme SuperShine? Try it and find out. For the first try, use a pair of polarizing sunglasses. Those are inconvenient and poor optical quality, but just fine for testing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:00 PM   #8

MOFO13 - Bill drews idea is a good start - the sunglasses will give you and idea of what a polorizer will do. There is a difference between REFLECTED and REFRACTED light.
A solid hit froma reflective surfaceis not generaly recognized as "lens flare" . Flare is the reflection of stray light coming in from outside of the frame and reflecting on the outer lens elements. On many lenses you wil get flare from the sun at around 30° tangent from the source. That is why Lens hoods were originally called "Sun Shades".
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:15 PM   #9

good deal...thanks BillDrew et all. I'll try to stop by the bimmer dealership my friend works at so I can futz around in the showroom with my sunglasses and my digicam without getting kicked out.