Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:37 PM   #1

Using the A-200 with full zoom and resolution and 2Xdigital zoom would I get an equivalent pic to the same cam shooting at 4mp or close to it? What I am trying to determine is can I use digital to give me smaller but yet quality pic without buying a tele lens? I realise that a different cam would suit my needs as I really only need 4X6 or 5X7s at this time but my hope is to buy this cam and to grow into it as my skills progress. This cam to me seems to have it all. I just need to learn and I will. Note. Thanks to Catbells who previously answered my delema but is too advanced even thou I thought I understood.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:03 PM   #2

All else equal (it never is), using a 2x digital zoom with an 8Mp camera will be the same as using a 2Mp camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:15 PM   #3

I agree with Bill. Digital zoom should NOT be used for any purpose. All it does is crop to the center portion of the image and enlarge it. The result is lower resolution and large pixel size in the image.

In my opinion, digital zoom should not be included on any digital camera. It is a waste of money.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:44 PM   #4

This topic pops up from time to time, Several years ago nearly everyone was dead against using digital zooms, now there are times when I see "some" positive remarks on digital zooms. I have used digital zooms at one time or another on an Olympus C-2100UZ, a Canon Pro90Is, Panasonic Z! and FZ20 and also a Sony W1. I sometimes use it to spot focus on a small object like the eyeball of a bird and then back off to all optical. As anyone can see I do a lot of telephoto photography and of the cameras listed only the Sony W1 doesnot have image stabilization. But this camera has some unique settings for digital zooming that can give the photographer some advantages that are similar (but not equal) to a stabilized lens. I also know that if you are in a place where it is difficult to hand hold your camera for a long telephoto shot you might try taking one at a lower resolution. It might make a better photo? You can get to know your camera as to what it can do in THAT light at THAT distance with THAT lens.

Now I understand that if all I did was landscapes the digital zoom might not be all that useful. I have never made a movie, but some do so why not have that as well?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:48 PM   #5

Digital zoom can have uses, but they are somewhat exotic. Exposure issues where the subject is surronded by very different lighting is one. If your camera has only auto white balance, there could be differences betweent he overall and the detail. normc notes focus issues, though I wonder about that for all cameras: worth checking out if there are problems. Some folks have mentioned cropping before in-camera modifications are made (contrast, saturation, JPEG compression, ...), but I suspect that will depend on the camera.

Simple high magnification is not really one of the uses of digital zoom: you can do as well cropping later.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:55 AM   #6

Digital zooms can also be used to obtain a meter reading that can be helpful.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote