Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:24 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I missed the Christmas sales and have my eye on Canon A95. However, I heard that when the new models for this year comes out in the spring prices for old ones will drop. Is this true? And if so anyone knows around when will this happen? Specifically in Canada....thanks so much!
etheriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:17 PM   #2

Please give me some advice people! I'm a pretty broke student and worked crazy hours over Christmas for this camera....and I'd like to get it at the lowest price possible, even if that means I have to wait a few months.

But if waiting a few months won't help at all, I may as well just get it now since I want it so much. So please, if you know anything, please reply!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:29 AM   #3

etheriel wrote:
Quote:
Please give me some advice people! I'm a pretty broke student and worked crazy hours over Christmas for this camera....and I'd like to get it at the lowest price possible, even if that means I have to wait a few months.

But if waiting a few months won't help at all, I may as well just get it now since I want it so much. So please, if you know anything, please reply!
I don't know anything about Canons intentions or lack thereof to drop prices but I can say that whatever you buy, it will drop the very next day.. Typically the trend is once a model is upgraded, the price of the older one drops. That said, if you want it, shop the best price (I would suggest www.resellerratings.com), and buy it. You may find that rebates are being offered. Check the Canon forum here at Steves, they may know something. Look at Steves reviews for that line of Canon.. It may offer some guidence.

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:59 AM   #4

hey etherial...

if i am not wrong canon released a510 and a520 in january this year , new versions of A75 and A85. You might expect price to drop for these two maodels and maybe a95 too.
Wait till feb25th, many new models will be coming...and we can hope the earlier models wil see price drop.

me a student too..so we in the same boat

good luck,
kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:43 AM   #5

the cheapest I have seen the A95 go for from a trusted store was at 470(or was it 460) Can $. It is currently priced at 450 $ at Staples.

If you wait until the equivalent of the A510, A520 come out for the A95, the price may drop a bit, but its not really evident. For example, at Staples, the A75 was priced at something like 280$ before xmas, now its 300$... back to its regular price.

My suggestion to you... if you are on a tight budget, may be to buy the A510 or A75(I'm not suggesting the A85 or A520, because I consider them to be not as good). Right now this would enable you to save roughly 150$ on the camera and you'd have to buy less memory(to get the same number of pictures)which would also mean some savings.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:45 AM   #6

Hi you guys, thanks so much for the response!

I considered A75 but it doesn't have the flip out screen that I wanted, which is a big deciding factor for me.....the canon A95 really is my dream cam from as far as I know, and I'll have no other! :?

You're right about the price, it's at $470 right now at bestbuy which is the cheapest I've seen. I'll wait till end of February and see if it drops any further...

Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:46 PM   #7

Prices SHOULD drop... manufacturers will likely stop producing the older models... and market forces will drive the price down.

However, you may have to wait a few months. The announced models are just that: announced! They will probaqbly show up around April/May.

Panasonic announced some new models LC1 and LC2 (or something like that) that compete against the Canon A line. So you may want to check them out too. The new Panasonics have image stabilization and 6x zoom, but Canon has manual controls (aperature/shutter priority) and better LCD (I don't think the panasnoics are flip-out LCD)... In any case, wait a few months...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:07 AM   #8

etheriel wrote:
Quote:
Hi you guys, thanks so much for the response!

I considered A75 but it doesn't have the flip out screen that I wanted, which is a big deciding factor for me.....the canon A95 really is my dream cam from as far as I know, and I'll have no other! :?

You're right about the price, it's at $470 right now at bestbuy which is the cheapest I've seen. I'll wait till end of February and see if it drops any further...
Aden has it here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for $439:
http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overv...935&Category=5
What school do you go to and what are you studying?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote