Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:59 PM   #1

Default Another Newbie here! I have a dumb question

I have been a photographer for many years but I am completely out of the loop when it comes to digital. Are there any wedding photogrpahers using digital equipment. I am thinking of going digital and money is no object. Can prints be made that compare with negatives?
Thanks in advance,redgrego
redgrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:42 PM   #2

I know that the photographer at my niece's wedding was using a digital camera. It was a high end camera and the prints were not from a photo inkjet printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:41 PM   #3

There are definitely pros using digital for weddings. In addition to the forums here, you might want to check out the DSLR forums at dpreview.com (there's a forum for each brand of DSLR). Read a little, ask a few questions, visit some pro shops ... Don't buy anything for a while--there's a lot to consider in deciding which camera system to go with.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 9:54 PM   #4

Here's your link:

http://www.bridephoto.com/cgi-bin/ul...?ubb=forum&f=1

A really great and well-moderated forum for professional digital wedding photographers. Jeff has done a great job with this one.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:50 AM   #5

Default Suggestion

Get an OLympus C-2100UZ, they are not very expensive, and go to some parties or places where there are groups of people to photograph. This will not be your "wedding camera" but it is exceptional for hand holding and framing shots and eliminating a lot of cropping...you'll have fun in the process. The FL40 flash is also excellent.

You will then have a bases for buying what "you" want for your work. Keep the C-2100 it will always be fun and can function as a backup as well. In watching a lot of wedding photographers work they seem to have a ton of stuff to lug around. With the right digital you might become more mobil?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:43 AM   #6

Redgrego,

I've taken digital pix at 20 or so weddings over the last 2 years as an amateur but now am a quasi pro. Have made a limited amount of prints from Fuji Frontier @ 300 dpi & Noritsu @ 400 dpi printers at mini-labs after i compared their results with 2 pro labs. I've gotten ICC color profiles for these machines via drycreekphoto.com to increase the quality output & decrease the variance between my screen & the print output. In the past I've left the printing to the couple.

I've been providing them a slide show set to music to use as a proof set to select pix from. In my case in the past, I've also burned the hi rez image files onto the CD for them to order their own prints but these can be left off or only low rez ones included. I shot a wedding last weekend and had a slide show to the groom's family on Wednesday in final form. If you'd like to download a "Wedding (condensed version)" of 72 slides but still large at 11.2 MB go to:

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/

It is best viewed at 800 x 600 screen rez. Some text has been blurred to protect their privacy. FYI, the full version has 163 slides and four musical #'s syn'd to the last slide instead of one repeating itself on the posted version.

Hope this helps...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 5:03 PM   #7

I got married in April and my photographer used two digital cameras. He put all of my wedding and engagement pictures on discs and I have been printing pictures at home on my Hp photosmart printer. I have given all of my bridal party and family members either pictures or whole albums. And no one could tell that I had printed these pictures at home. I have been very pleased with the pictures. I have recommended this photographer to several of my friends.

I hope this little bit of information is helpful. Since I got married I have been looking to buy a digital camera myself.

rachelhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 5:24 PM   #8

rachelhs....If you really want to still see your wedding pictures many years from now and after cd formats have changed, I'd recommend you get a set of real photo prints done through Walmart or an online service.

It is only now that special long life 'archival' inks and paper are being produced for home inkjets. Run the tap over one of your printouts, or leave it on a window in the sun for a couple of weeks and see what happens!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:13 AM   #9

This is going to be controversial, but here goes....I have an Olympus C4040. I bought it specifically to do portraits and weddings for the people who could not or would not afford such services otherwise. I bought the FL40 and the bracket, as well. Now, the FL40 is a great flash, and a great companion to the C4040, but there is one big problem. When shooting posed shots of any kind, there will almost certainly be someone with their eyes closed. I started noticing with digital, that damn near every shot has some closed eyes in it. I finally figured out it was those #*&$&@#! digital pre-flashes. The first flash makes everyone blink, and the second flash captures the blink. So whenever I use the camera for people photography, I replace the FL40 with my Nikon SB24 flash set to AUTO. It works perfectly in the hotshoe of the Olympus bracket. Also, whenever I use the flash off-camera, such as with an umbrella, I use a Nikon AS15 hotshoe adapter and run a PC cord from it to the flash. With the non-dedicated, non-TTL flash, using slaves is no problem whatsoever. I have finally eliminated the blinks!
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 4:50 PM   #10
lg

Default Closed eyes in posed pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiola
This is going to be controversial, but here goes....When shooting posed shots of any kind, there will almost certainly be someone with their eyes closed. I started noticing with digital, that damn near every shot has some closed eyes in it. I finally figured out it was those #*&$&@#! digital pre-flashes. The first flash makes everyone blink, and the second flash captures the blink.
Yes, I have noticed this, too! One person had his eyes closed in
each and every pic I took, several of the same shot because I noticed his eyes were closed. And yes, it's the pre-flash that was the culprit! A poor-man's catch-22 solution is to use the redeye reduction... the multiple flashes usually cause them to blink and then recover before the shot; catch-22 because of the shutter lag imposed by the flashes...Just a personal observation.

One question: does anyone know if the Promaster flash uses a pre-flash also? I was considering buying one instead of the FL-40.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote