Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Could you please post pics comparing two pictures: one without Telephoto lens and one with Telephoto lens? I'm thinking about buying a 2x Telephoto for my Sony DSC-W1 and I just haven't been able to find examples of exactly how close you can get. I would really appreciate your help. And yes, if you could do the same for .5x wide angle lens, that would be a plus for me.

Thank you.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:28 PM   #2

Are these lenses that screw on to then front of the camera's built-in lens? If so, I can comment on their uesfulness as I have never used one.

Generally lenses are rated by their focal length and not by some "x" factor. A standard lens is 50mm. Anything shorter than 50mm is wide angle with anything under 25mm being extreme wide angle. Anything over 50mm is telephoto. 200-300mm are common telephoto sizes. Longer than that, you get into some very heavy and expensive glass.

The same guidelines apply to zoom lenses. Consequently, my favorite lens, a Sigma f2.8 28-70mm, at the 50mm setting is standard. From 28-50 is wide angle and from 50-70mm is telephoto.

Anyway, I probably haven't answered your question. I just wanted to make the point that serious photographers don't use addon lenses that attach to the front of an existing lens. To me, saying that a lens is 2x telephoto means nothing to me. It is just like saying that a camera has a 10x zoom lens. What does that mean? Is it 20-200mm, 40-400mm, etc. It's the mm that counts

OK, I'm probably going to get flamed on this one so I have my flack vest on.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:41 PM   #3

Take a look over at Pemaraal Online ( http://www.pemaraal.com/ ). There are several examples under "Test Images"for both the C-2100 UZ and FZ10. Look under FZ10 / WCON-08 for some wide angle examples. Although you don't have an Oly or Panasonic, this will give some idea of what to expect for an add-on telephoto or wide angle lens.

I've purchased two lenses from this site and was exceptionally pleased with the service which included e-mail notification of possible delays and notice when shipped (along with a tracking number.) Highly recommend this vendor (Pemaraal On-Line).

One note of caution on buying add-on lenses - you get what you pay for. The cheaper lenses you generally find over on eBay - "Digital Optics", "Titanium Lens", etc - are not very good. You can find several examples / discussions here on Steve's or over in DPReview.

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:21 PM   #4

I have the Sony W1 and the W/A, 2x, and 3x telephoto. I know about mm being more accurate in describing the lens, but like many others I use the "X" as well. 50mm is not the standard lens in digital cameras. 35 to 38mm is more like it plus some additional optical zooming abilities.

I do not think that in digital that there are many .5 W/A lenses most are arund .7 and most do not have the ability to focus when the camera is zoomed.

I can highly recommend the Sony W/A and the 2X telephoto, The 3X telephoto requires a tripod. I would spend the money for two adapters, one for each lens, W/A and 2X. You can then quickly assemble and dis-assemble them to the camera. These are also useful for filters and the like. I am sure there are other lensesbut don't buy cheap!

I call the W1 a two pocket camera. I can have the camera in one pocket and the lenses in another and also carry a 50mm film camera for 35mm slides
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5

The X factor for telephoto add-on lenses does have meaning: it multiplies the original focal length, or divides the original field of view.

Using an X factor to describe a zoom lens is silly: does 12X zoom multiply by the shoe size of the photographer? Multiply by the finger width of the lens designer?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Using an X factor to describe a zoom lens is silly: does 12X zoom multiply by the shoe size of the photographer? Multiply by the finger width of the lens designer?
I think it does serve some purpose... the x factor quickly tells a user how that the camera can go from max wide-angle to x times wide-angle...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:53 PM   #7

Here we go ...

Hope you could find the answer in all this Sherpa
Quote:
Take a look over at Pemaraal Online ( http://www.pemaraal.com/ ). There are several examples under "Test Images"for both the C-2100 UZ and FZ10. Look under FZ10 / WCON-08 for some wide angle examples. Although you don't have an Oly or Panasonic, this will give some idea of what to expect for an add-on telephoto or wide angle lens.

One note of caution on buying add-on lenses - you get what you pay for. The cheaper lenses you generally find over on eBay - "Digital Optics", "Titanium Lens", etc - are not very good. You can find several examples / discussions here on Steve's or over in DPReview.

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07

All true. Some of these cheaper lenses are horrific. Saw one shot of a radio tower. The guy wires had thick purple on both sides!

The Olympus TCON 1.7 and WCON .7 are fantastic as well.

There are, however:

Large and heavy

Unlikely to allow you to zoom through the entire range (WCON you need to stay at or near the WA (Wide Angle) range of your zoom TCON you need to stay at or near full zoom or the edges will become black or distorted)

You won't be able to pretend you're a pro, but you'll be really happy with your pictures, and likely your life,anyway.

Note: I hardly ever use the TCON. Just tons of zoom already on the UZI. The WCON is usedmuch moreoften.

Hope you got an answer!

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:20 AM   #8

I am also looking for a wideangle lens for my W1. I am getting fed up of trying to get good photos and not being able to fit 'everything in'...

Anyway, what could you recommend for someone for their first wide-angle lens? I researched this area but just cannot find one for my w1......are the ones on ebay any good???
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:08 AM   #9

Whooo....why buy junk? I use the Sony x0.7 VCL-DHO730 W/A. It does a great job and is not very expensive. You will need the adapter tho for the attachment. As far as I know there are not any W/A lenses for this camera that will allow you to zoom and stay in focus?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10

I have a TCON-17 for my Canon Pro90IS. A couple of observations:

Unless the lens is zoomed all the way out, the camera displays unsatisfactory vignetting. In fact, when at the wide angle setting, it looks like you're shooting through a hole. Zoomed all the way out, it works fine.

This thing is very heavy... about a pound, I would guess.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote