Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1

Hey, I'm new to this forum so bear with me if I mess something up. I do realize that this is a primarily digital camera forum, but I would assume that some of you have had experience with older cameras, and enjoy using some of the more mechanical stuff.

My question to you is what the heck is this thing? My uncle brought it back from Poland the other day, and no one is able to tell me anything about it. If anyone knows when this camera was made, or if it's worth anything today, could you please post. Any and all replies are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Bmx Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:02 PM   #2

I couldn't find much about it but there was this website that confirms that it is a Polish-made TLR...but you knew that already.

http://www.tlr-cameras.com/Polish/index.html
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

Wow, thanks a lot. I've been searching on google for a good little while now and haven't been able to turn up a single hit. I guess that's what happens when I know so little about cameras and photography.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:29 PM   #4

The only thing I can find is that it is a WZFO Start 66 Twin Lens Reflex, I cant find how much it is worth though. You could try adorama.com under the used equipment, they might be able to give you a quote on it.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:13 AM   #5

It is probably actually russian made, from the iron curtain days in poland. You might try looking for Lubitel, another name brand for the eastern block cameras. It kind of has that look about it. Auction sites like ebay tend to set the value of these things though you never know. Your uncle may have come across a long lost friend of some person in Poland looking to be reunited with his camera. It looks to be in good shape, my guess from the one photo you posted is $25-$40 (if actually russian made).

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:30 AM   #6

I guess I should have posted a little more of what I know about it. It belongs to my dad, who asked my uncle to bring it back from Poland. On the side of the camera it has an engraving saying that it is, in fact, made in Poland.

The image you see through the viewfinder is really strange. Everything is mirrored and it has a 3-D feel to it almost. A neat conversation piece to say the least. Here's another angle of it with the viewfinder open.
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:13 AM   #7

Rob, Google "Start 6x6 camera", you will find some things. The first thing that came up is that it could be a Lubitel 166B. I followed a link to Ebay but the only picture was of a box. Go figure?!? Good Luck!Bob
Fotobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:04 PM   #8

The Twin Lens Reflex medium format camera was a favourite of photojournalists in the early 1960s when many were moving from larger cameras like Speed Graphics and still didn't trust 35mm. The Rollei TLRs are still sought after by collectors and serious photographers alike.

I own a Yashica D TLR which takes excellent pictures on 120 size film (standard medium format size, along with the longer rolls of 220). Marvelous cameras which make excellent landscape and portrait cameras. The 6cmX 6cm negative is huge compared to the approximately 3.6cm X 2.4cm of 35mm so much larger enlargements are possible.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:59 AM   #9

I am getting into the 120 size film for the quality images that can be produced from the older twin lens cameras. I then want to scan the negatives for digital prints. The Seagull twin lens reflex can be purchased new. ($250-300? for the top model) It is from China. Many others are on e-bay. Don't expect to find zoom lenses, but there aresome outstanding lenses on some of these cameras. Typically you can hand hold at waist level and 120 film at much lower shutter speeds than 35mm. The older Yashica cameras have developed a popular following. Is it better than spending thousands for a DSLR? Talk to me later?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:41 AM   #10

My camera is a late D model Yashica which means it has the better Yashinon lens, an 80mm. The cropped 8X10 prints are awesome.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote