Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

I always look to Steve's-Digicams "Breaking News" to see what is developing in the way of camera design. The last new camera introduction on this site was the Epson L-500V over a month ago. That seems to be an eternity in this business.

Have digital cameras gotten so good and full featured that there's little reason to introduce new models?

P.S. I actually took a step backwards in time and purchased a used Olympus C5050 from a professional photographer on eBay because it offered more of what I want than the most current models, particularly the F1.8 lens. He moved to a C8080 and I can understand his reasoning for the business he is in.
Clayton Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2

Steve must be slow or something... there have been a bunch so far... Panasonic FZ4, FZ5 (which admittedly are inferior in some respects to the existing models)... Canon A510, etc...

I'm guessing that some high-end prosumers will also be introduced but it may take a while...

As far as DSLRs are concerned, I don't know much about them. There were some Christmas releases so you may have to wait until 4th quarter of 2005... although it wouldn't surprise me if a low-end prosumer (equivalent to Canon 300D) comes out...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:30 PM   #3

No, with PMA on the horizon, there is a lull before the storm. Just wait, they will come. There are still many things that can improve in both low and high end digitals.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:31 PM   #4

There's a big trade show coming up, so there'll probably be a lot more activity soon.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Steve must be slow or something... there have been a bunch so far... Panasonic FZ4, FZ5 (which admittedly are inferior in some respects to the existing models)... Canon A510, etc...

I'm guessing that some high-end prosumers will also be introduced but it may take a while...

As far as DSLRs are concerned, I don't know much about them. There were some Christmas releases so you may have to wait until 4th quarter of 2005... although it wouldn't surprise me if a low-end prosumer (equivalent to Canon 300D) comes out...
I'm anxiously waiting for the updated review on the new Olympus C-7070 as I need to buy one very soon to take on a trip of a lifetime - so I am running out of time and may have to take the plunge before seeing the full review.
Geoff
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:31 PM   #6
Administrator

Clayton Root wrote:
Quote:
I always look to Steve's-Digicams "Breaking News" to see what is developing in the way of camera design. The last new camera introduction on this site was the Epson L-500V over a month ago. That seems to be an eternity in this business.

Hum, gee, excuse me for being slow or lazy :blah:

You seem to have forgotten about the dSLRs that we've reviewed since then and we are kind of gearing up for a major photo convention - PMA 2005 starts in 3 days!

You've also confused "new camera introduction" with "camera review" - check the Breaking News page back for 30 days and you'll see there have been a number of new camera introductions made, lots more yesterday and today and with more to follow in the next two days.

And we have posted the Casio EX-P700 and the Olympus Stylus Digital 500 camera reviews in the last 24 hours...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:22 PM   #7
ecm

Well, you spoke too soon!:-)

The Canon D350 has just been introduced (drool, slaver, drip) and there's a preview at dpreviews.com. 8 Mpixel CMOS, as small as the Pentax *istDS, faster, better, stronger, higher, more handsome, nicer to children and small animals, etc. etc.

I can hardly wait!
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote