Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:05 PM   #1

I know there must be some basic answer to this. . .but why can't they make a DSLR that takes video like all the other EVF cameras do? I mean, just lock up the mirror, and take video with the LCD. . .whats so hard about it?
Just a thought :lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:18 PM   #2

Never did figure this out...hm... anyone know?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:45 PM   #3

ya. . .it seems simple enough:lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

The sensor isn't designed for it. Movie movies require the sensor to be on and be sampled many times a second. Reading "picture" after "picture" very quickly. The sensor in a DSLR can't do that. Instead they focus the design on the highest quality, lowest noise image that they can produce and (right now) that means no movie mode.

With they have this eventually? Maybe. But not right now.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:02 AM   #5

The Canon EOS-1D Mark II is a step in the right direction, from what I can tell based on the specs.

It can do 8.5fps - if we can just triple or quad that we have a chance.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:48 AM   #6

Not true. P&S movie modes are shooting at a much lower resolution while Canon EOS-1D Mark II can sustain 8.5 fps in full resolution. In this respect, any camera and any sensor is prepared for taking VGA movies... Sustaining 8.5 fps in full resolution is a different animal and it implies writing all captured data in storage memory at that speed and to be able to work with the hardware and optics at the respective speed.

I bet that there's not really a market for movie modes in Enthuziast or Profesional DSLRs... Maybe in the newly created Amator market... Who knows...
big_ipaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:05 AM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
The sensor isn't designed for it. Movie movies require the sensor to be on and be sampled many times a second. Reading "picture" after "picture" very quickly. The sensor in a DSLR can't do that. Instead they focus the design on the highest quality, lowest noise image that they can produce and (right now) that means no movie mode.
This doesn't really justify the reason... I mean... the sensor on the DSLRs are pretty similar (they use different techs in some cases eg. CMOS) so there isn't any reason they can't do it. There is literally no difference between DSLR sensor and a consumer/prosumer sensor, other than size (of course, I am OVERSIMPLIFYING but my point still stands).

I'm guessing that DSLRs don't have video because there are not in demand. However, I expect them to incorporate video when high-end prosumers start being more competitive with them (eg. when high-end prosumers can shoot decent pics at ISO800)...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:36 AM   #8

I realize that a locked up mirror and open shutter would expose the sensor continuously however I think Movie capture will only be possible if the exposure and viewing system is changed significantly. This is not likely to happen until DSLRs are cheap enough for owners who want an all purpose device, most DSLR users now are serious about still image quality and probably have a video camera for when they want movies.

Hope this helps.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:45 AM   #9

I personally don't care for much video, and would not want my DSLR with a gimmick mode. If I need video I use my Canon A75's video mode, or opt for a camcorder. But that's just my opinion :-)
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:03 PM   #10

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
... I think Movie capture will only be possible if the exposure and viewing system is changed significantly...
Why? I don't really see anything hard that is required--especially since the video we are talkin about is quite primitive. You might need some extra hardware (eg. MPEG chip) if the existing processors are used to their max, which they may be. Also, you would need some extra software to play back the video and stuff like that. But overall, these seem pretty minor...