Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:24 PM   #1

Have you ever been kicked out of malls, museums or public places because you had a camera and were taking photographs?
Some places like the ROM do not allow flashes and tripods. I have never trespassed in this manner. Have you been confronted by security guards anywhere? What did they do?
Did they tell you to pack up or to pack up and leave? Did they take your memory card? Tell you to delete it? Post your experiences.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:02 PM   #2

Actually I contact the places ahead of time and ask them what their pollicy is. Most of the time the people are completely amazed that someone would take the time to find out before hand what is allowed and what is not. It goes a long way in making a good impression. They seem so grateful too! I mean I get things like "...and if security gives you any trouble you have them call me and here is my cell phone number..." A little consideration goes a long way here... just my 2 cents...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:10 PM   #3

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Actually I contact the places ahead of time and ask them what their pollicy is. Most of the time the people are completely amazed that someone would take the time to find out before hand what is allowed and what is not. It goes a long way in making a good impression. They seem so grateful too! I mean I get things like "...and if security gives you any trouble you have them call me and here is my cell phone number..." A little consideration goes a long way here... just my 2 cents...
Your two cents are worth their weight in gold.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:19 PM   #4

When I was in grad school, my sister was visiting and I took her over to campus. I was going to take some pictures while we there, but the guard reminded me that we were on the grounds of a Federal Nucular Weapons Lab.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:38 PM   #5

Only once... as a visitor in a nudist colony :-)
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:57 PM   #6

I've never had a problem, but I don't shoot in places that are known to be private property (inside of malls). My problem is ususally the opposite...people start showing up, pretending they are doing something (when they are really just watching).
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:57 PM   #7

Wildman wrote:
Quote:
Only once... as a visitor in a nudist colony :-)
:-):-):lol:
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:15 PM   #8

My two cents;

I'm usually very sensitive tothis in my photography. I too ask in museums and galleries. Flashes are usually not allowed, but sometimes a monopod is allowed where a tripod is not.

One night I wasstopped at the gates of a produce cannery. I chatted with the guard, who very politely allowed me to take pictures from outside the gates, but in this security conscious era, he could not allow me inside. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Speaking of security, I have taken several shots directly below the Ambassador Bridge between Windsor and Detroit, and though some who've seen my shots have mentioned such prohibitions (including armed snipers) I have never been questioned.

Just my two cents.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:32 PM   #9

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
My two cents;

I'm usually very sensitive to this in my photography. I too ask in museums and galleries. Flashes are usually not allowed, but sometimes a monopod is allowed where a tripod is not.

One night I was stopped at the gates of a produce cannery. I chatted with the guard, who very politely allowed me to take pictures from outside the gates, but in this security conscious era, he could not allow me inside. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Speaking of security, I have taken several shots directly below the Ambassador Bridge between Windsor and Detroit, and though some who've seen my shots have mentioned such prohibitions (including armed snipers) I have never been questioned.

Just my two cents.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
OMG... I used to work down the street from the ambassador bridge on the detroit side... between the ambassador bridge and zug island! LOL! Right on Fort Street...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:30 PM   #10

All you need to do is go to dpreview and poke around the forums a bit. You're bound to hit a thread describing someone's problems with police or guards or whatever.

From the ones I've read, very few of the "authority figures" were actually right in confronting the photographer. But I bet the ones that were confronted over a proper issue probably don't go to www.dpreview.com and complain in the forums.

It's sad to say, but I wouldn't try to photograph a bridge any more. At least, not a big one near a city. Also, I knew people who went out to the local international airport to photograph snowy owls. They don't go any more.

On the other hand, I do that Mr_Saginaw does. I ask someone with authority over where I'm going what I can and can't do. And I usually get the same reaction that he does... amazement.

I know someone who photographs trains. He called a prison to talk to them about how he was going to photograph a train that goes by their facility. He got a number of someone to call if there was any trouble. So the next day, at the appointed time, he drove to across the street from the prison. Then setup a ladder in the back of his truck and climbed up and stood ready for the train to come. And as he feared the guards started to pay closer attention to him and watch what he was doing through optical equipment (i.e. binocs and rifle scopes.) So he called the number, got the same person and told them what was happening. In a few minutes then went back to the usual "watch was is going on" mode, as opposed to direct attention. And he got his picture.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote