Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:31 PM   #1

In the specs of the nikon 5700 it says it has a 8x optical zoom

such as,

:8x Zoom-Nikkor; f=8.9~71.2mm (35mm (135) format equivalent to 35-280mm), f2.8-4.2 with macro;

What I want to know is if this includes the 4x digital zoom or if the (35-280) 35mm equis Just the 8x optical zoom by it;s self. And can somebody tell meaboutwhythe digital readout is 71.2mm how does the digital change things in the lens
bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:49 PM   #2
Administrator

bassfisherman wrote:
Quote:
In the specs of the nikon 5700 it says it has a 8x optical zoom

such as,

:8x Zoom-Nikkor; f=8.9~71.2mm (35mm (135) format equivalent to 35-280mm), f2.8-4.2 with macro;

What I want to know is if this includes the 4x digital zoom or if the (35-280) 35mm equis Just the 8x optical zoom by it;s self. And can somebody tell meaboutwhythe digital readout is 71.2mm how does the digital change things in the lens
No (Digital Zoom is not included).

The actual focal range of lens is approximately 9mm to 71.2mm.

But, since the camera's sensor is much smaller than 35mm film, you have a different angle of view. So, you have much more apparent magnification for any given actual focal length compared to a 35mm camera.

Since many users are familiar with using 35mm models, manufacturers usually state "35mm equivalent" focal lengths (versus the actual focal lengths) with Digital Cameras. The lens on the Nikon 5700 has a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 35-280mm.

As for Digital Zoom, this has nothing to do with lens specifications you are seeing.

Digital Zoom is only cropping an image (cutting off the outside edges to make it look like more Optical Zoom is being used). It then enlarges it again by using interpolation (adding pixels not captured by the camera, based on the values of adjacent pixels).Digital Zoom will not increase the detail captured by the camera. You can do the same thing later with software (crop an image and interpolate it back to a larger size).

I keep Digital Zoom disabled on my cameras so that I don't accidently use it (since it can degrade image quality as more Digital Zoom is used).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote