Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:10 AM   #1

I have a canon A75. While I was taking snaps at the time when the Running Race was going on, the dust seems to have stuck on the lens leading to various spots on the photos!

What is the best way to keep the Lens ?
How to clean them with min. expenses ?

Your help will be appreciated.
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2

First of all, purchase a UV filter and mount it on the lens. Make sure the front of the lens is clean first. The filter will to practically nothing for your pictures but will protect the lens from dirt or damage. Leave the filter on the lens at all times except when you need to use a different filter. A $20 filter is much easier to clean and much easier on the pocketbook in the event of damage.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3

You would have to buy a screw-on lens/filter adapter before you can attach a filter, not something you need to do on an A75 because of the retracting lens and integral lens cover.

There are alot of different opinion - I suggest blowing as much of the dust off as possible, wiping very gently with a clean cloth dampened with distilled water, then wipe gently with a microfiber cloth. Lens cleaners are available but I have always had reservations about what impact they could have on the multi-coatings on modern optics. Some people use isopropyl alcohol. I prefer patience, distilled water and microfiber.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:03 AM   #4

yeah. that is the problem with the compact cameras. I would immediately put the camera in its pouch whenever i stop taking photos. for that UV filter, i have remove the ring, put again, remove etc.. in between those gaps...

OOPS..

Anyway, both are acceptable to me, except that for the 1st one I need to buy the adapter and uv filter...
Thanks for ur suggestions.

Any other suggestions...
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5

I use a UV filter on my 8080, but merely as a protective measure. As I said, since the A75 has a retracting lens w/ integral cover I don't see a need for a UV filter. UV filter's have little, if any, discernable effect on image quality, even in seascapes.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:57 AM   #6

Hello Hari:

Lens Protection Rules:

1. Never touch one--i.e.: You, kids, cat, whatever.

2. If you see a fingerprint or dust:

a. Camel-hair brush to remove sticking dust.

b.Air-bulb(NOT "canned-air") blower.

c. Breathe on it enough to "cloud".

d. Wipe gently with microfiber cloth.

3. Never use liquid lens cleaners--they could destroy your lens coatings, or worse, dissolve your lens-element cement if it runs down in there.

4. And the most basic rule: NEVER RUB IT, NEVER "CLEAN IT"--unless there's a smudge or a fingerprint. Justconfine your efforts to the air and the brush.

5. Forget the word "Lens Tissue" ever existed. Strike it from your vocabulary.

FWIW,

F2Guy

PS: My F2, Rolleiflex and Canonetlenses are 32 years old, used a whole bunch, and still cherry....

F.

F2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:28 AM   #7

You'll get as many different answers and opinions as there are people reading the original post..

1. NEVER put fluid of any kind directly on a lens.

2. Use only clean disposable lens tissues and use it ONLY ONE TIME.

3. Microfiber cloths are the devil in disquise. They can, will, and Do hold dirt. Dirt that will in turn, rub into the coatings of your lens. (Ask me how I know this...)

4. DON'T use cotton cloth (your t-shirt). Cotton is an abrasive and WILL scratch your lens. Same is true with most other fabrics that clothes are made out of.

5. No paper towels, kleenex, alcohol pads either.

6. NEVER NEVER NEVER brush a lens. If you buy a cleaning kit that has a brush in it, toss the brush or give it to the cat to play with.

Procedure:
Get one of those blower bulbs that are used for things like washing out babies ears.. They can be found in most places that sell phamacutacles (walgreens, rite-aid, etc). Use it to blow the loose dust off of the lens.

Place a drop of lens cleaning fluid on a lens tissue and gently wipe the lens to remove the remaining dust particles. Don't rub, just wipe. Discard the tissue. It now holds the dust that was on your lens and reusing it you risk rubbing the dust into the lens.

Let the cleaning solution set a moment and then fog the lens with your breath. You'll see traces of the solution. While still fogged, wipe the lens with a clean tissue. Again, Wipe, don't rub. Discard the tissue. Repeat as needed until no traces remain in the fog.

Fog the lens once again. This will help de-static the lens to avoid collecting dust.

If you are able, attach a UV or Haze filter to protect the lens. If not, only uncover the lens when you are going to take a photo.

I've had several Olympus, Rolleiflex, and Schneider lenses for many years, and yes, all are still cherry. :G

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:51 AM   #8

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
3. Microfiber cloths are the devil in disquise. They can, will, and Do hold dirt. Dirt that will in turn, rub into the coatings of your lens. (Ask me how I know this...)

6. NEVER NEVER NEVER brush a lens. If you buy a cleaning kit that has a brush in it, toss the brush or give it to the cat to play with.

(A)...Procedure:
...Place a drop of lens cleaning fluid on a lens tissue

(B)...If you are able, attach a UV or Haze filter to protect the lens.
OK:

3. I'm only newly into microfiber, and really, really watch what part of the cloth I'm wiping the lens with--always new, thus far.

6. One has to have a particular brand of camel's-hair, specially for camera lenses. It has a rubber ferrule, so as not to risk scratching from, say, a typical metal ferrule.

A. See previous opinion(and experience) w/lens tissue. (Why else should my high-end shop be givingpackets of itaway and at the sametime having knowledgeable clerks chuckle at the people who take them...).

B. I'm a resolution-freak. No extra glass, please.

FWIW,

F2Guy
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:13 AM   #9

I'm not going to argue about the merits or lack thereof of lens tissue. It's worked for me for years and that's what I continue to use both on my cameras and customers cameras. If it doesn't suit you that's fine too..

The microfiber, Fortunately I found this out on an inexpensive lens (not to be read cheap). It was clear and free of scratches before using the MF (take that abreviation in All of it's possible meanings) to clean it and it scratched the hell out of the coating. The only reason I could come up with was that it had picked up dirt from somewhere else, possibly even another lens.

I look at brushes on a camera lens the same way I look at brushes in a car wash.. They scratch. Period. Personally, I don't use or recommend them.

Best regards,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:40 AM   #10

Jeff,

No offense. Both of us understand. To each their own.

Cheers,

F2Guy

BTW: Before MF(microfiber, OK, :G), the exact center of a much-used, fresh-laundered, white-linen handkerchief was all that was allowed to wipe my breath off my lenses. As I say, whatever works....

F.