Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:54 PM   #21
NHL

I agree with Meryl Arbing... and I already have several digital cameras!

Quote:
Film scannera are the great digital secret that THEY don't want you to know about! Imagine that for around $630 you can get a KonicaMinolta Dimage 5400 film scanner you can see why they would sooner that you spend $8,000 for a Canon EOS 1Ds Mk II. The trouble is that the $8,000 camera is only 16Mp...(haha ONLY 16Mp :? ) and gives a 4992 x 3328 pixel image while the $630 scanner gives you a 7800 x 5232 pixel image from a 35mm frame or slide (oh..that is 41 (Forty-One) Megapixels!!!).
I don't shoot that many rolls... BTW I process my own slide if I can help it :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:05 PM   #22

I thought this was a good idea. A home tabletop film processing machine. No plumbing required. Just push the button and it does the work and...in the end you have slides to mount or negs to scan and print.

This is just one of many different companies making these units for home use.

http://www.phototherm.com/sk8rh.html

And it is STILL cheaper than the top of the line dSLR!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:46 PM   #23

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
While in office max the other day I glanced at the HP scanners. I don't know if they are any good or not but they came built in with film holders for transparancy scanning. Both were under $150.. Another is an epson 3200 (I beleive).. it's capable of scanning films up to 4x5 (possibly more).. Price last time I looked was roughly $350+ depending on the software options.

:G
Jeff -

OK, thanks, my wife has used this kind of setup for scanning slides, worked out OK. I always thought these did slides only, but she says it does negatives (HP Scanjet 5370C). Amazon doesn't sell the Epson 3200 new anymore, but they sell the 3170 for about $200, does film, slides and medium format using adapters to hold the media. The 47 reviews average to 4 stars out of 5. Key specs:

# Scanner type: Flatbed
# Scanning area: 8.5" x 11.7" (216 mm x 297 mm)
# Resolution: Optical resolution: 3200 dpi; hardware resolution: 3200 x 6400 dpi maximum with Micro Step Drive technology; maximum resolution: 12,800 x 12,800 dpi with interpolation; effective pixels: 27,200 x 37,440 (3200 dpi)
# Color depth: 48-bits per pixel internal, 48-bits per pixel external (External bit depth is selectable to 48 bits depending on the image editing software)
# Gray scale: 16-bits per pixel internal, 16-bits per pixel external (External bit depth is selectable to 16 bits depending on the image editing software)
# Optical density: 3.4 Dmax
# Scanning speeds: 8.7 msec/line at 3200 dpi; 2.8 msec/line at 600 dpi

May be the best option for a hobbyist like me? :?:
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:47 PM   #24
NHL

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
I thought this was a good idea. A home tabletop film processing machine. No plumbing required. Just push the button and it does the work and...in the end you have slides to mount or negs to scan and print.

This is just one of many different companies making these units for home use.

http://www.phototherm.com/sk8rh.html

And it is STILL cheaper than the top of the line dSLR!

BTW I used to load my own film from bulk too...

Kind of a do-it-youself guy from start to finish even before all this digital stuff! :G :-) :lol:
(... and still looking for great deals on film cameras...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:49 AM   #25

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Finding a scsi card shouldn't be hard, the bigger issue will be drivers or both the card and scanner.

Eric
I have the drivers for the scanner. I thought I had my problem licked when I bought a USB-SCSI cable from Adaptec. My Nikon is an LS1000, come to find out, the oldest one they support with that cable is the LS2000. This was 3 years ago when I first bought my Dell.. Now I'm into an HP computer and with the same scsi problem. I'm not completely without it though. I do have the old setup on an older computer, it's just a PAINFULLY slow process, about 2 minutes per slide.. I'll get it...

I've been playing with the idea of adapting a slide copier attachment to the FZ20. If it can do macros of a bug, why not a back-lit photo?? Might work for my Medium format stuff too :-)

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:56 AM   #26

Steve K wrote:
Quote:
jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
While in office max the other day I glanced at the HP scanners. I don't know if they are any good or not but they came built in with film holders for transparancy scanning. Both were under $150.. Another is an epson 3200 (I beleive).. it's capable of scanning films up to 4x5 (possibly more).. Price last time I looked was roughly $350+ depending on the software options.

:G
Jeff -

OK, thanks, my wife has used this kind of setup for scanning slides, worked out OK. I always thought these did slides only, but she says it does negatives (HP Scanjet 5370C). Amazon doesn't sell the Epson 3200 new anymore, but they sell the 3170 for about $200, does film, slides and medium format using adapters to hold the media. The 47 reviews average to 4 stars out of 5. Key specs:

# Scanner type: Flatbed
# Scanning area: 8.5" x 11.7" (216 mm x 297 mm)
# Resolution: Optical resolution: 3200 dpi; hardware resolution: 3200 x 6400 dpi maximum with Micro Step Drive technology; maximum resolution: 12,800 x 12,800 dpi with interpolation; effective pixels: 27,200 x 37,440 (3200 dpi)
# Color depth: 48-bits per pixel internal, 48-bits per pixel external (External bit depth is selectable to 48 bits depending on the image editing software)
# Gray scale: 16-bits per pixel internal, 16-bits per pixel external (External bit depth is selectable to 16 bits depending on the image editing software)
# Optical density: 3.4 Dmax
# Scanning speeds: 8.7 msec/line at 3200 dpi; 2.8 msec/line at 600 dpi

May be the best option for a hobbyist like me? :?:
That doesn't sound too bad, especially for $200.. Mind you, I don't have a lot of experience with them. A friend has one (3200) that, since he's getting married, probably will never get a chance to use.. I wonder if he's in the market to sell... Hmmmmmm.... Maybe time to retire that Nikon..

Jeff
:idea:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote