Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:46 PM   #1

I have been looking at video qualities of digital cameras.

What format is the best?

MP4, MPG VX, AVI, MOV

When looking at the optimo the video quality seems really nice but the audio isn't great. I am just curious what video format has the best quality, for me it is hard to depict between the T1/T3 and M1 cameras. The video quality looks pretty similar but I can't just tell.

Does anyone have any more samples from these cameras?

Also I heard that MP4 is designed for a less buffed-up memory card, does this imply that mpg VX is better?

Thanks.

[align=center]:|[/align]
Crax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:51 PM   #2

Crax wrote:
Quote:

What format is the best?

MP4, MPG VX, AVI, MOV

I have found a lot of variables in this discussion, some important ones being final distribution desired, including codecs available. A good overview here, although almost a year old:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1544886,00.asp

At the moment, I am using a Nikon CoolPix that shoots 640x480x15 fps as Quicktime (mov). Fine for most purposes, and Sorenson Squeeze allows tailoring for email, CD, streaming, etc. BUT ... my DVD player plays DivX (avi format) videos directly from CD-R, very cool, no VCD formatting, no DVD authoring. So, off to Adobe Premiere to convert using the free DivX codec, no problem. If you read the article, I think it says the best option for DVD player support may end up WMV, and I think that might be correct.

On the other hand ... just kidding.

:?
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:03 PM   #3

Steve K wrote:
Quote:
Crax wrote:
Quote:

What format is the best?

MP4, MPG VX, AVI, MOV

... So, off to Adobe Premiere to convert using the free DivX codec, no problem. ...
To correct myself, I did have a problem using my older version of Premiere to convert to DivX (primarily related to audio), but there are free and low cost utilities that will do it, more info at www.divx.com. The gist is the same, I can start with *.mov (and other video formats) and end up with *.avi using the DivX codec, then watch on my DVD player using CD-R's with just copies of the video.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote