Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:53 PM   #1

Hi. I was wondering about printing options. I have a new D70 nikon SLR and I take wedding photos and other artistic photos for resale and I need to know where I can get the best digital prints on-line or otherwise . Quality in large prints is a must. I would love to find a on-line lab. I am new to the digital world. I am a old school medium format and 35 mm kind of girl and I need all the help I can get with digital printing because I am use to using my own darkroom and I know digital will never be that great but it is much easier for weddings and such.

So I am all ears..........

thanks
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:41 PM   #2

Ella wrote:
Quote:
...I know digital will never be that great.....
ouch... talk like that won't make many friends around here!

Ok... just teasing you... :lol:

I've never tried them but I see www.printroom mentioned a lot..

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3

I was going to say. DSLRs like the D70 might not compare to medium format, but it does very well against 35mm. It certainly can be "great" at times.

Believe it or not Walmart and Costco can produce very good large prints at cheap prices. But their results can be inconsistant, both in the paper used and the color correction.

Plus, Walmart seems to have instituted a policy where prints that have copyrights notices on them will not be printed (proably a lawyer on retainer trying to protecting them from a suit over reproducing copyrighted work.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4

Printing Options:

(1) On-line processing service like Winkflash, Snapfish, Ofoto, or Smugmug. One review here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=winkflash

Advantage: Inexpensive, even with shipping. Often quite high quality. Often can manipulate using their software to correct minor problems prior to printing. Can put pictures on other things (like photocards or clocks or t-shirts). Big advantage: Often, many of these sites will allow unlimited storage and allow you to share the photos with your friends (without having to pay for a photosharing site). It's also a nice backup of your most crucial files.

Disadvantage: Long process if you don't have a fast internet connection. Not immediate processing... have to wait a few days. Never know what you're going to get until the prints arrive.

(2) Printing at Wal-Mart or Cosco or other commercial-type establishments (I've used Wal-Mart. It's not bad, but you run into the aforementioned copyright and consistency problems.)

Advantage: Fairly cheap. Fast. Fairly good quality (who knows what it will look like in 5 years, but...) Immediate returns. Sometimes nice clerks who will help.

Disadvantage: Feeding into the Wal-Mart culture. Photos' quality are often adjusted by the clerk after you submit. They often won't print anything with a copyright notice (oftentimes even if it's your copyright notice).

(3) Printing at a photo store or other "professional" photo finishing company (often, many of the places that offers traditional processing now will process digital prints.)

Advantage: Probably fast. Professional advice.

Disadvantage: May not be cheap. May be less convenient.

(4) Buying a printer (see the printers forum)

Advantage: Complete control over the process. Instantaneous results. Better ability to fix problems as they happen.

Disadvantage: Complete control over the process (color matching and CYMK conversion in Photoshop-- no thanks!). The most expensive method (prohibitively expensive for an amateur, IMO).

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5

I just read the article in "DigitalPhotographer" magazine which compared five online sites and picks dotphoto.com as one of the best overall for color and price. You may want to try them or at least read the article.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:59 PM   #6

Ella, This photo was shot in Large-Fine with the D70. Well I do prints up to 8x10 on my hp7960. Any sizes larger I put on a CD disc and submit to a local lab that I trust. I also give the lab a copy of my print for exact color. This print was done as a 20x30 canvas, inwhich I sold five times the price of the lab cost.

There are some very nice printer out there that would even save you the cost and uncertainty of online printing.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:35 PM   #7

I have an epson sylus 2200. Do you think that the prints if on premium quality epson pspers will be quality enough to sell? I just do not want to get a bad reputation for selling prints that aren't the best quality. I am happy to say though my customers thus far have enjoyed thier photos from weddings on DVD so a lot of the time I need a canvas printand aprox. 4 rolls of 4x6 prints. I bought a epson picturemate and I love it for 4x6's it is amazing quality thus far my customers haven't seemed to mind the smaller prints I've made for them.

Do you think the prints I can make at home with the epson 2200 will be just as good as those from the top on-line stores or even in labs? I am just picking all the brains I can on the issue and this forum is great for info. Thank you all for helping me.

I love my D70 and digital is very amazing to me also.I'll check out wal-mart and all the other on-line sites mentioned. I am trying Calagaz.com right now so I will let you all know how they handlemy prints. They are a local lab. I'll give an update.
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:08 PM   #8

Many, many professionals own the Epson 2200 and sell their work from it. I know of at least one lab that does its digital-based prints either from the 2200, or they step up to the Epson 9600 if the 2200 can't print it big enough.

It is one of the best printers out there in that price range, especially considering the longevity of the inks. I would not want to sell something that I know will fade in a year or two. That will not happen with the 2200 unless they do something really dumb (i.e. not your fault.)

If it weren't for the fact that the 2200 is going to be replaced in the fall, I'd already own one.

Eric
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:08 PM   #9

double post.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:15 PM   #10

ok... i misunderstood the OP... i was thinking they were looking for an on-line place that could also be their store front. I seen the word "resale" i guess... hey... it's Friday... I've been toying with the idea of a "pro" printroom.com account to sell prints... that's why I mentioned that one... anyone here use them for that purpose?

thanks,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote