Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2002, 4:08 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't think cameras with hot pixels are necessarily "broken", the photos they generate just need a little more post processing.
OK, if we want to get paranoid about it, some ccd chips will be nearer the cliff edge than others. Some will get to the cliff edge sooner than others, some might be in cheaper cams and we wont worry, because we've upgraded before we notice!

So I wonder where my cam chip is in the QA error/life curve, and should I have taken out the extended warranty!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 7:00 PM   #12
NHL

CMOS is a technology process, actually anything that's run on battery is made out of CMOS nowaday:
Quote:
In CCDs [1], the dark current level is well controlled and pixel faults are reduced by ultra-clean processing techniques and careful imager design. Only the very large devices suffer from theses errors. Recently, much attention is paid to CMOS active pixel image sensors [2]. These devices suffer somewhat more from pixel faults...
http://www.fillfactory.com/htm/techn.../pr17paper.pdf

http://www.fillfactory.com/htm/technology/pdf/wpc98.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:56 AM   #13

Thanks for the reference to the papers. It appears then that more errors, not less, are likely and masking algorithms which hide the chip defects will be essential.

Sounds like a car with an engine management system that compensates for engine wear- until everything fails at once ('disgraceful' degradation)!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 6:15 AM   #14
NHL

Quote:
Sounds like a car with an engine management system that compensates for engine wear- until everything fails at once
Exactly! That's what the error correction implemented in all flash cards does already when they came fatory built with errors and degrade with time... It only get harder when a device becomes denser with its corresponding geometry reduction.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote