Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1

Hey everyone,

I recently got Nero 6 and it has a backup utility built into it. The interface is good and I like using it. I just have a question regarding backing up pictures. If I back up my pictures with the compression turned on, will that degrade picture quality? If anyone knows I would appreciate some help.

Thanks
judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:39 AM   #2

'backup' means that your data can be stored and then later retrieved and fully restored. So you're not going to have degraded picture quality. Compression in the case of a backup means that some files (like text files or whatever) that are backed up will take up less memory (on the storage medium) than the original files, because some kind of algorithm is used to store the data in a more efficient form, as compared with what we started with originally. Basically..the 'compression' algorithms used for backing up data is not the same as those used to make a picture image have a reduced filesize (while trying to maintain a reasonable picture quality, but some degradation can occur). Normally, compression algorithms applied to data files for backing up are reversible...so compressed files can be uncompressed and you'll get your original file back. So your pictures will be just fine. Just to convince yourself, you can back up some data (including pictures) using nero and then restore some. The restored files will have the same file size...basically they'll be the originals.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:40 AM   #3

I usually backup my pictures as full data backups, so theoretically you can browse your backup and look for a picture, no conversion, decompression necessary.

Most CD-R's hold about 750mb's, DVD's hold about 4 gigabytes, so that's a lot of pictures.

The dual layer DVD's hold about 8 gigs, although they are a little expensive right now.

Unless you have a heck of a lot of pictures to back up, back them up as full data backups without compression.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:03 AM   #4

I also usually backup my files using the very typical method...that is, just write the data to cdrom (or other media like dvd etc). But in this case, the original post was just asking if the compression feature that may be used his backup software could influence his picture files. So I assumed that he wasn't planning to do a typical backup.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:06 AM   #5

Yah, that's cool, Kenny.

I think you responded to his question more so than I did.

Terry
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:09 AM   #6

I normally use RAW and import into iPhoto 5 (Mac Only) and use that for organisation purposes, however I have recently started converting my images to DNG the new Adobe format. Anyhow, all this info is stored onto a external HD, they are very cheap nowadays and even a standard one comes in at 160GB. However if you have a older computer without firewire this could be a slow process.
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:11 AM   #7

Grant,

You make an excellent point.

I back my photos up to a DVD-RW, then store them in my safe for protection against fire or theft.

Terry

Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:54 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.
judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:38 AM   #9

judge_dredd wrote:
Quote:
If I back up my pictures with the compression turned on, will that degrade picture quality?
If your files are jpegs, it's quite possible they'll get slightly *larger* when standard non-lossy compression methods are applied to them. Jpeg is a remarkably efficient way of saving an image. You'll see this if put a jpeg in a zip file.

Any general backup method is certain to employ non-lossy compression, so don't worry about degradation. However, if it's *just* jpeg pictures that you're backing up, it's probably not worth compressing them.

On the other hand, if you're storing tiffs or raw files, you'd better use compression.

Good luck, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:51 AM   #10

Excellent suggestion terry...with the putting the files away in some other place, like a fire-proof/resistant safe etc. I didn't do this before, but I'm going to follow this sensible example and not put all the eggs in one basket. Just in case.