Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

Firstly i would like to ask which are the improvements in sd400 over sd300.

I know that we have 5mpixel instead of 4 mpixel , but apart from this , are the image quality problems improved ? soft corners , purple fringing , general picture sharpness and colour quality.

Secondly , i would like to like to adjust the shutter speed / aperture size and set them to whatever i want. i know that aperture and shutter priority are not features of both cameras , but at least i would like to adjust them manually and set them to whatever i wish.I also know that there are several modes which will help me take pictures in different circumstances , but i want to experiment with shutter speeds and aperture sizes and set them to whatever i want.
Thank you and i am waiting for your answers in my two questions.
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:52 PM   #2

Manual mode in the S and SD series so far has been a scam. I'm a little ashamed of Canon for calling it a manual mode. Manual on those cameras just takes you to a mode menu for selecting various modes and features – at least from the reviews I've seen. It doesn't let you manually adjust the shutter speed and aperture. I don't have much need for aperture and shutter priority in a camera without a hot shoe, but I use manual mode. Things like sport and portrait modes open your lens and maximize the shutter, but there are times when you want manual control. I think the SD300 lets you control shutter speed only.

I haven't seen anything but boiler plate so far for the SD 400 & 500. You might want to wait for some good reviews. The SD 500 seems to have true manual modes. They also went to a 1/1.8 sensor. The 7Mp 1/1.8 sensor is excellent. The SD400 stuck with the 1/2.5 sensor which might be a little noisy. My guess is that the SD 400 will likely continue the trend with no real manual modes as it seems to be a SD300 with a higher pixel density sensor.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:21 PM   #3

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Manual mode in the S and SD series so far has been a scam. I'm a little ashamed of Canon for calling it a manual mode. Manual on those cameras just takes you to a mode menu for selecting various modes and features – at least from the reviews I've seen. It doesn't let you manually adjust the shutter speed and aperture. I don't have much need for aperture and shutter priority in a camera without a hot shoe, but I use manual mode. Things like sport and portrait modes open your lens and maximize the shutter, but there are times when you want manual control. I think the SD300 lets you control shutter speed only.

I haven't seen anything but boiler plate so far for the SD 400 & 500. You might want to wait for some good reviews. The SD 500 seems to have true manual modes. They also went to a 1/1.8 sensor. The 7Mp 1/1.8 sensor is excellent. The SD400 stuck with the 1/2.5 sensor which might be a little noisy. My guess is that the SD 400 will likely continue the trend with no real manual modes as it seems to be a SD300 with a higher pixel density sensor.

Thanks for the information , seems interesting..

Oh, and something else : what i see about sd300 is that soft corners appear , also some purple fringing , and a little bit of noise. From what you say , with the new sd500 sensor the noise might not be a problem , but my question is : which is the reason for the soft corners and the purple fringing ? Does the size of the lens matter for this or is it something else?

Thank you and i hope that my question will be solved
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4

Very small cameras with zoom lenses seem more prone to soft corners. I have a Pentax S4 that probably has softer corners than the SD series. I have yet to take a picture that it was a factor. Old pros often slightly softened and darkened the corners to enhance the image. Soft corners would be a problem if you were copying documents or maybe art work. You really have to look at lots of sample pictures to even find the soft corners because there is often sky at the top and foreground that is blurred from DOF at the bottom. Even group pictures don't usually suffer as there is usually nothing in the corners.

Go to pbase.com and do a search for SD300 pictures. It will take you a while to find a picture that you think would be improved if the corners were sharper. There is a difference between a technical analysis of a picture and looking for what matters in the shot.

Purple fringing doesn't seem to be a necessary result of miniaturization. I don't know why some cameras have it more than others.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote