Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2002, 1:27 AM   #1

Default E20n vs 7Hi

IF YOU HAD THE $$$ WHICH 1 WOULD YOU GET. WHICH 1 HAS THE BEST UPGRADABILITY ???. 8) 8) 8)
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:16 AM   #2

If you had $$$, you should go straight to d-SLR. None of those two you mentioned has the upgradability as d-SLR (especially in term of lenses).
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:49 AM   #3
NHL

The E-20N will be closer to a film camera if that's what you want. Its built quality is superb, and it's optical viewfinder is the closest to a d-SLR that you can get.

However with the EVF of the 7Hi, this camera is much lighter as well more features laden: The "What You See Is What You Get' in manual or real-time histogram for example can never be made available in an optical system. Also with it's built-in buffer of 5 raw frames @ 3fps it's also much faster, and comes with a fantastic APO, and CA free 28-200 mm that is a wider than the E-20N.

All cameras in this price range are superb. Just get one and start using it there's much more to learn... and skill to improve than what a camera has to offer!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:33 AM   #4

Default how about the 3x telephoto lense for E20

is it good or overated for its price!!!
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
However with the EVF of the 7Hi, this camera is much lighter as well more features laden: The "What You See Is What You Get' in manual or real-time histogram for example can never be made available in an optical system. Also with it's built-in buffer of 5 raw frames @ 3fps it's also much faster, and comes with a fantastic APO, and CA free 28-200 mm that is a wider than the E-20N.
Actually, this is not correct - the E20 uses beam splitter technology derived from the Sony DSC-D700, D770, DKC-FP3 which is shares with the earlier E10. This allows real time through the lens LCD which is truly "WYSIWYG".

The upgrade path - for what is possible, is about the same on these two. The optics for the Olympus upgrades are superior. Both the telephoto (TCON-14B/TCON-300) and wide angle are ED/APO glass. Of the two - my choice would be the E20. On the other hand, for the price of an E20 you probably should take a good look at the Sigma SD9. This $1799 camera body can be "upgraded" with all manner of lenses and produces better images than either the E10 or 7hi.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:33 PM   #6

I would rate the E20 as an excellent camera. The price has come down check this site
http://store.yahoo.com/645af/225315.html
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:00 PM   #7

8) The E20 is a fabulous camera, and I'm so sorry I sold mine. If you shoot action, however, the 5MP mode only goes up to something like 640.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:04 PM   #8

8) I notice that 645AF offer seems to be grey market. Not necessarily bad, just be aware.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 6:35 AM   #9

Hi, I've got both of these - don't ask how I managed it

Overall the image quality is near as damn it the same, the deciding factor for me is the slow write to card times for the Olympus, even in jpg mode it's slow, tiff/raw mode and it's really really slow!.

I prefer the overall finish and build of the Olympus but the write times plus a couple of other small niggles (having to remember to close the viewfinder cover, very slow image preview/playback zooming) spoil what would have been an excellent camera.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 7:28 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
This allows real time through the lens LCD which is truly "WYSIWYG"
There's no doubt this is an excellent camera, but how accurate is the LCD in daylight if one can see at all? It all boils down to one's preference of optic over electronics, but regardless the 7hi is much more feature laden (real-time histogram, different color space, embedded ICC, color filters & al). But like I said:

Quote:
All cameras in this price range are superb. Just get one and start using it there's much more to learn... and skill to improve than what a camera has to offer!
The $1799 of any d-SLR is only a starting price. With a wide enough 28mm lens that the D7hi offer, one'll have to go a more expensive superwide with the multiplying factor on the SD9, and also need a second lens for regular shots. This is when the lightness of the 7Hi comes into play, and it's definetly a quick shooter!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote