Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:38 PM   #1

My Oly C50 goes to sleep after a period of non-use with the lens still extended. I had hoped that since the lens stayed extended the remote might wake it from sleep. It doesn't.

Does anyone have a camera or know of one that the remote wakes it from sleep, or is the Oly sort of standard? I would like to have a camera for a special application that gets awakened by the remote, but I don't want anything really large.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:24 AM   #2

I do not know of any remove that will do it, but there might be. You need one that you can control power along with the normal buttons (shutter/focus/....)

Canon makes a remote that has a lot of functionality to it. It includes things like timers to shoot every x minutes. Maybe it could do it? Here is a review of it:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/tc-80n3.shtml

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:31 AM   #3

Is your remote a wired one or infra red?

I'm guessing that any wired remote is likely to wake up a camera. I'm sure mine does on my 20D.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:13 AM   #4

Eric – thanks, but a SLR wouldn't be appropriate for my use. I have a fishing kayak and want to mount the camera on the front of the boat in a homemade enclosure. I release all my fish and would like to take shots of any particularly nice ones – my friends don't always believe my fish stories. Not that I exaggerate or anything.

I'm thinking I might just nudge the camera with something to wake it up. But it would have to be more exposed than I would like. I might just have to get a waterproof model that can use a remote.

Paul – yes it is IR. I think anything I might use would be IR.

Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:45 AM   #5
NHL

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have a camera or know of one that the remote wakes it from sleep, or is the Oly sort of standard? I would like to have a camera for a special application that gets awakened by the remote, but I don't want anything really large.
If I recalled correctly my Minolta D7 wakes up when you 1/2 press the shutter -> It's wired remote will do the same thing to AF the camera and the 2nd position on the remote will activate the shutter: The D7Hi/A1/A2 are all newer versions of this camera so they all work the same way but with IS (or Anti-Shake) built-in to the camera...

BTW the zoom on theses cameras are manual, so it'll stay in place wether power is ON or OFF! :idea:

Also the 'intervalometer' function is built-into the camera so they can also wake up, take a picture, and then goes back to sleep - all on their own with no remote required and the intervals are programmable...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../a2_specs.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6

I believe the Canon remote will work with non DSLRs. Of course, I could be completely wrong, there. Of course, that is a cabled remote, and I can see why it wouldn't work very well for you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:34 AM   #7

NFL: I have a D7i, but don't have a remote. I would prefer it not be a direct wire connection and something smaller. It is down for maintenance right now. Might be worth looking into the wired remote for it rather than looking at another camera though. First I have to get it working.

Eric: I would think the remote would work only on Canons and probably only higher end models. I don't want anything too pricey on my yak.

The odd thing is that there is an "On" button on my Oly remote. It doesn't do anything but it must do something for other models. I need something I can pick up used on Ebay that won't be too great a loss if the yak goes over and my box doesn't save it.

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:05 AM   #8
NHL

I believe with an IR the camera must be turn on first! - (not good if the camera has went to sleep)

A wired (cable) remote or a wireless system (RF/IR) that connect through the cable (wired) port can always 'wake' up a camera since this behave like a shutter press - That's how most high-end dSLR systems are designed!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I believe with an IR the camera must be turn on first! - (not good if the camera has went to sleep)
That would seem to be the case. But the "On" button on my remote makes me suspect that some IR cameras can awaken from sleep with IR. Since that button does nothing with my camera it must be there for something. I can't find a manual for the remote online and it isn't mentioned in the camera manual other than to refer to the remote manual. I probably got one with the camera but didn't put it in a safe place because everything else is pretty much self explanatory.

Quote:
A wired (cable) remote or a wireless system (RF/IR) that connect through the cable (wired) port can always 'wake' up a camera since this behave like a shutter press - That's how most high-end dSLR systems are designed!
The IR doesn't work very well in bright sunlight. But I generally fish incoming tide, which doesn't usually occur at mid-day. A wired remote always works, so it might be worth the trouble. I'm not sure an electric cable would always awaken all cameras from sleep. If you have a remote for your D7 I would appreciate your trying it after the camera is asleep. It might be worthwhile to fix the camera and get a remote for it. My Oly wakes up from a half press of the shutter as well BTW.