Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2002, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Are u statisfied with the software bundle with your camera?

Are you statisfied with the software bundle with your camera? If so which software is it? If you are not satisfied, have you purchased other software? Which software?
Dave T9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 7:37 AM   #2

I can only speak for Fuji Finepix software. Haven't used it as other packages did the job better. Mostly I found it very basic, I suppose one could be satisfied if you hadn't used anything else. I might think differently about Canons RAW software which sounds useful.

The real issue for me, is I'd rather not have and pay for the addons which inflate the price and don't contribute much. E.g if they'd left out the software, put in some decent Nimh batts, or a 64Mb card they might have understood I actually wanted a cam I could use!

I think it is the task of reviewers to help with some form of price/benefit judgement for cams and addons. Let's compare cam performance/prices but value addons separately? All too often we see addons as feature lists without value/price attributes.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3

I've used Camedia Master 2.5 once or twice, never touched it again :roll: I've been a Photoshop user for years, that's what I use to edit my pictures. To view them I use ACDSee.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:29 AM   #4

Default Re: Are u statisfied with the software bundle with your came

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T9
Are you statisfied with the software bundle with your camera? If so which software is it? If you are not satisfied, have you purchased other software? Which software?
Bundled with my CP950, I had nothing as “image processing software”, just the Nikonview which I did not use anymore since I have a CF reader. ( I used Nikonview to download with serial connection, very slow)

My D7i came with Minolta Dimage utility , I use this for raw pic conversion, I use this not that often.

So, IMO, I don’t consider that these cameras come with any general purpose “bundled software” . I use ACDSee 4 for managing/organizing pics ( which is great) , and for edit: Photoshop 6, and Adobe PhotoDeluxe (a simple one , but feature rich)
Some freeware/shareware are great too.
The formerly free Digital Image Recovery utility is a must to have in the tool box ( in case you lost pics on CF cards or Hardisk)
Recently, I tried Neatimage ( free version is functional , just limited in batch mode I think) , great to “rescue” some too noisy high ISO pics .

Take a look here for Steve’s software reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware.html
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:30 AM   #5

I am a PhotoShop user. The answer would be no.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 6:44 AM   #6

I received Nikon View and Photshop Elements with my CP4500.

I used Nikon View once but I wasn't all that impressed. I now take the memory card out of my camera and treat it as a removable drive under Windows XP with a PCMCIA adaptor, copy all of the files to a PC directory and then use the Windows viewer to look at them there. Anything I don't decide to subsequently process gets deleted from the PC directory at that point.

I use the bundled Photoshop Elements all the time, but having received a free copy of Elements 2.0 as a "managers discount" with another purchase I plan to install it and check it out.

The only other software I've looked at is Neatimage but after a few experiments I've stopped using it.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:36 AM   #7

Photoshop and acdsee user - never used any software that came with any of my digicams.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:46 AM   #8
NHL

About the only time where people use software bundle with the camera is when they are forced to import proprietary raw file from their respective camera... but then that's about to change too:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews..._01_adobe.html

BTW The exception is probably Canon where you can remote control your camera with their software... pretty neat actually!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/g2_pg7.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 9:00 AM   #9

BTW, there are many good ( usable) softwares that come with less expensive item like scanners, printers, than with cameras.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote