Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:17 AM   #1

For those who are not aware. When purchasing a new camera, and you use Visa, I am not sure about the others, they will give you an extra years coverage of warranty at no extra cost. You can pay off the bill the next day, saving interest charges, and still have the extra coverage. PS- I have no interest in this other than saving other enthusiasts a few bucks.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:52 PM   #2

Thanks DW...I'll try to remember that for next time. Do you know if that extends to other purchases too?

In similar subject matter, I got an email from Canon regards my printer. Canon offered an extended warranty for two years for $50. Couldn't decide to buy or not. Anyone and you have an opinion if it's worth purchasing or no need.It's the i860 model. Thanks.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:59 PM   #3

This applies to any purchase for anything that comes with a warranty.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:04 PM   #4

I think that in general extended warranties are a waste of money. If the company makes a quality product, especially a digital product, it should last a long time, becoming obsolete before non-functional. And my experience has been that digital products from good companies, if they don't fail almost immediately (a mfg. glitch), don't fail for a long time, if taken care of.

I buy computers quite a bit, including laptops, and have never had one fail - out of a non-extended warranty. The software, in particular the operating system, has run off the tracks, but in general that is fixable via a reformat. I own a Windows 3.1 machine that runs perfectly, maintained all these years because it has an irreplaceable music board that an irreplaceable music software program requires.

Again, I buy stuff that the company stands behind, e.g. Toshiba Tecra laptops that come with 3 year warranties, minimum. AND they have a local authorized repair shop, done in a day or two, no questions. Yes, I'm paying more upfront (a higher spec machine historically), but to me it seems better than a cheap model with an extra charge for an extended warranty. And that you have to mail off to Elbonia for service. IMHO.

Having said that, a "free" warranty extension from VISA is OK, but I'd still probably use Discover and get a 1% refund (all purchases). A bird in the hand ...
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:21 PM   #5

I work for an electronics store that sells warranties specifically warrantech warranties. There are only certain things I reccomend them on. I would never get a warranty on a standard desktop computer. I would highly reccomend one on a laptop with screen protection (covers a cracked screen). On laptops the screen is around 800 bucks if it cracks and a motherboard is around 500 if it goes(this includes when the poweradapter breaks off the inside connector--a very common problem). On peripherals I typically dont reccomend warranties unless they are up close to the 500 dollar range. The reason is because the warranties are pretty inexpensive 30-50 and theyre called peripheral replacement plans. Basically u call the company tell them itsbroke, they send a store credit for close to the purchase price to the store to get something else. I have neverseen a customer even bring back the defectiveperipheraland I know they didn't have to send it to warranty company,,

timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote