Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2002, 12:23 AM   #1

Default Epson 1280 Problem?

I don't print much, but I used to get pretty good 8x10's. The image I have frustrated with now was shot with a Nikon 4500, with flash inside, with some daylight in the room. The subject is two people. A white shirt is perfectly white and there is excellent black where it should be. But the skin tone is decidely pink. Other tones look realistic.

I have tried auto-color and auto-levels in PS7, but it doesn't seem to matter. I clean my print heads before I print photos. The image looks fine on my two computers. (It's dark, but that could be fixed.) I am printing on Kokad Ultima Glossy paper, using Epson ink.

Is there anything obvious I should be thinking about?

Thank you very much.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2002, 4:51 AM   #2

A few thoughts, I suspect you might have a colour management issue, skin tones are the most sensitive area to get right - we all know what they should look like!. Your printer will have been supplied with files which correct your monitor for the colour differences which exist in inks. I'm not a PS user but the package should allow you to select the file which goes with your printer.

Try some tests from other pictures which might have printed OK. Copy the skin tones and compare both the rgb values and what you see on a monitor. If colour balance due to mixed lighting was a problem in the shot, you will see the differences in the rgb values. You say the pictures were a little dark, some cams don't colour balance as well in low light, particularly if there is no white reference in the shot.

Xenon flash is close to daylight in colour, but not the same. Experiment shooting faces with flash but get your subject to hold a white card in front. Repeat with daylight and again with mixed daylight and flash. Some cams are able to modify the colorimetry in flash mode for mixed lighting but I've never used this feature on mine.

Did your printer come with some sample test picture files on the CD? Try printing the one's with skin tones. If these don't look right, it suggests a printer calibration issue. Also have you tried Epson paper and do you get the same results?

When you select paper in the Epson menu, they actually modify the colour info to suit the paper. I'll bet you don't see an option for Kodak paper! Hope some of this helps.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 9:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips. There is nothing in the printer manual about calibrating, but I'll dig back into my piles of software and see if there might be a CD with more detail.

A friend gave me some Epson paper, which I will try. Maybe I will also see if I could send some samples to Epson. I see references to calibrating printers and monitors on the forums, but it boggles my mind.

I also will re-print some of the old ones that looked pretty good before. That was a good idea.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 5:48 PM   #4

You've picked up on the right things. I don't think sending pics will do any good. Your pic image files are not 'reference' pics. However, search the Epson CD for the sample image files. Print out their sample images, on their photo glossy paper and with their ink, send those. Better still, if you can get hold of something called a 'calibration target file', that's even better. You must be careful not to print test files imported into an editor which might be applying colour correction. I think you can right click the file in Explorer and select 'print'.

Before I bought my Epson, on request, they sent sample prints of some of these sample images done on the same model series on Epson paper.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:40 PM   #5

8) Many thanks. I'll do that.