Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:43 AM   #11

KSV wrote:
Quote:
- and, hey, why it is impossible to make DSLR witch can accept film?!? Film loaded - film camera; no film - digital. How this is sounds? :idea:
You'd have to be able to remove the sensor out of the way for one, and a DSLR no longer has any film transport mechanisms inside. Hasselblad's H1 which allows you to switch between digital and film backs is already in the market for quite some time, but the price of that system is not very affordable at all compared to current top of the line DSLR's. And just thinking of cleaning that big exposed sensor in the digital back everytime you mount it to the H1... I guess people that use it won't be doing a lot of cleaning since they'd keep it on the camera and not shoot film anymore.

I stand corrected regarding the 20Da having a modified AA filter which is more transmissive towards infrared. But still, skintones blown by infrared is not pretty and hard, if not impossible to fix. The right tool for a specific job right? I guess you could use the 20Da for non-astronomy shots with a filter such as the B+W 486 which blocks UV and IR.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:08 AM   #12
KSV

Quote:
Hasselblad's H1 which allows you to switch between digital and film
Kinda big, otherwise will get one tomorrow :lol: (just kidding - those stuff has price tag like a car :lol: )

Well, I was talking about my *dream* camera; sorry, forget to include RRP - would be nice to have this for $100 or less :lol:Including 3 lenses - 12-50/1.2-1.2; 50-500/2.8-2.8/IS; 500-2000/3.0-3.0/IS :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I am sure that there are workaround - cover sensor or make it so durable that it can be use as film back-plate etc. However this always will be just a dream - market for such hybrids is negligible (if exist at all - I am alone can not form it :-) ), and no one manufacture will mess around with such an idea.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:52 AM   #13

If they can manage a real-time histogram in the viewfinder, I'd be a happy camper.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:53 AM   #14
Super Moderator

KSV wrote:
Quote:
I will not value LCD preview on DSLR at all and can advise for those who like it have a look at prosumer market. Same applicable for movie.

What would I like in my dream DSLR camera:

- full size sensor with say 12 mp 32 bit RAW / 16 bit JPG resolution and noiseless ISO 6400 :-)

- solid construction - no plastic bodies or lens mounts!

- faster writing speed

- waterproof / dustproof

- and, hey, why it is impossible to make DSLR witch can accept film?!? Film loaded - film camera; no film - digital. How this is sounds? :idea:
Sounds like you want the Leica digital back, not exactly what you're looking for, but fairly close.

If they don't go out of business that is. Hopefully Panasonic will buy them or something.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:37 AM   #15

Here's some of my Wish-list
  • full frame 22mpsensor [/*]
  • built in flash metering. [/*]
  • built in 1-deg spot meter [/*]
  • 12gb built in storage with 2 cf card slots for additional storage. [/*]
  • 10 fps until the internal 12gb is full [/*]
  • AF to -3ev [/*]
  • AF at F16 [/*]
  • IS in the body [/*]
  • fully sealed & waterproof [/*]
  • self cleaning [/*]
  • ability to use anyones lenses by changing a mount insert [/*]
  • ability to power itself from the users self inflated ego :lol:. [/*]
  • < 500$ [/*]
  • :blah:[/*]
Yes, agree, it is a specialized tool don't think I would be trying to use it for generic shooting. But at this point is is all here-say, haven't seen any images from it yet and don't know anyone whohas one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero
I stand corrected regarding the 20Da having a modified AA filter which is more transmissive towards infrared. But still, skintones blown by infrared is not pretty and hard, if not impossible to fix. The right tool for a specific job right? I guess you could use the 20Da for non-astronomy shots with a filter such as the B+W 486 which blocks UV and IR.
[/quote]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:27 AM   #16

1. Universal media mount within the dig cam. SM, xD, CF etc would all work.

This should be across all brands.

All adapters supplied with original digcam.

Minolta already has an adapter that converts SD to CF. I have one and it works great.

Now, the next step is to have it in the dig cam.

The footprint of the Sandisk 8-in-1 image reader is actually quite small when you subtract the housing.

2. Lithium based, rechargeableAA batts. How tough can this be??? After all, We brought back Lovell, Hais and Schweigert back on the Apollo 13 mission.

3. All digcams compatible with AA batts.

4. Optical view finders.

5. Good glass.

6. If you choose to upgrade to newer better dig cam of same brand, company could offer Buy Back (or credit if you donate to old dig cam for militarypersonnel as Steve recented posted).

7. CUSTOMER SERVICE - An agent fluent in your language, someone who knows your cam, has the autonomy to make things happen to serve the customer.

8. Focus groups - in early R&D of next dig cam. What do you like? What do you not like? Fix it before you invest millions in actual production.

9. Image Stabilization across the board - all cams.

10.Make company web sites easy to navigate. DRIVERS, FIRMWARE UPDATES, REBATES, EXTENDED WARRANTies should be just some of the pulldown choicesas you as you hit products link on the web page.

11. Yes, I agree with Peter P. Include a boatload of storage (as Kodak has begun to do in small storage amounts) on the digcam. However, make it owner replaceable if it should ever fail.

12. Extended warranty coupon in all dig cam packaging. Do you or do you not believe in your dig cam, Mr. Camera Maker?

13. Ask me (and a few hundred others) to come visit for a major focus group.

14. No more proprietary lens threads!!!

15. Ask...what do you think?

Okay...I'm done.

Nope, guess Iam not done.

16. Save of pics in the new JP2 lossless formatshould be there.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:12 PM   #17

Not sure how good thiswould be, the 20D can be made to run off of 6 AA cells in an emergency but you get about 15 shots if you are Lucky before they are depleted, with the proprietary $$$ battery you get 600+ shot.

Quote:
. Lithium based, rechargeableAA batts. How tough can this be??? After all, We brought back Lovell, Hais and Schweigert back on the Apollo 13 mission.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:07 PM   #18
KSV

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
If they can manage a real-time histogram in the viewfinder, I'd be a happy camper.
This is a good one - real-time histogram in viewfinder while shooting film!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:13 PM   #19
KSV

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like you want the Leica digital back, not exactly what you're looking for, but fairly close.
I *LOVE* to have Digilux 2 as my second camera - just temporarily out of money :lol: