Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2002, 7:49 AM   #1

Default e-mailing high resolution pictures

I'm about to buy a minolta Dimage 7Hi. If I shoot pictures at the highest resolution, will I have problems e-mailing these photos? I am using RoadRunner as my ISP
aj0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:27 AM   #2

I see two potential problems:

1. you must have a fast connection (large file)
2. Yours -and the recievers internet provider have to accept large files as in-and outcoming post.

Had problem nr. 2 when I should post a pic to a UK magazine lately. So check it out.

Good luck
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:48 PM   #3

I believe there are special sites set up to facilitate the emailing of large attachments, but why bother? Just post your shots at pbase.com and email the links.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 3:11 PM   #4
NHL

aj0410

Like some of us here you have an 'always-on' high-speed internet connection; however you can often jammed up your guest e-mail service since after receiving your e-mail (usually limited to 5-10Mb) they are blocked from further mailing (usually good if it is junk!). Even yours, cc yourself and find out!

They will then be probably very mad at you if they have to sit through downloading theses pictures through a 56k modem! Uploading full resolution to pBase is a good solution, but then again your receivers will also not sit through the time it takes for the pictures to display... (Pbase also does a very poor job at displaying your full-resolution pictures in other sizes)

Think about the persons you intend to show the picture to... Like a Mac person needs to remap their pictures color for PC audiences.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 4:09 PM   #5

The only reason you'd need to email a high res pic is if the recipient wants to print them out. 800 X 600 dpi is good enough for monitors and you can save with more compression than usual for screen viewing.

Batch mode resize in photo-editors is useful for this job. Here's another option. I've just used an online printing service which allowed me to upload via ftp. 50 Megs of images each 1.2Mb from a 3Mpix cam. It took 20mins on a 250Kb upload speed!

Ftp is the best way to efficiently move binary image files. You still need a fast connection and an ftp site to move the files to. If it's for commercial work, most companies host ftp on their servers. If you send more than 1 image anywhere it's always best to zip them - then individual files are less likely to be corrupt on receipt.

These sites give you free storage, so friends can view your albums. What's nice, is if you've authorised their email address, they can look, choose and pay for their own high res. (300dpi) real photo prints! Mine were delivered the day after upload!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 4:28 PM   #6

Agree with sanpete, post them on www.pbase.com.
Another idea would be to crop on the part of the pic that is important. Most photos can be reduced significantly with croping. From your end with roadrunner, you will not have a problem with large files. If the receiver has a fast connection you will not have problems. Another problem you will face is limit of file size attachments by the ISP. Roadrunner has a limit of about 10mb. This will allow 10 to 12 pictures from you end. However, the distant end may have a smaller restriction. Recommend sending one file attachment per message.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 7:41 PM   #7

Great job. I appreciate all the feedback. This is a great place for rookies to learn from experts.
aj0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:23 PM   #8

Default Mailing large files

AOL is great for mailing large attachments...their limit is 16MB per email message...so if you and your recipients both are on broadband, get AOL and you will be ready to roll. You can even get their Bring-Your-Own-Access package, where you continue to use Roadrunner, for $8/month.
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:45 PM   #9

I registered at pbase and I love the idea. I think the interface is somewhat annoying though. Are there any other similar sites? Thanks.
Aaron Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:52 PM   #10

Try DPreview.com. There's a forum too.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote