Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:22 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera that has a super macro mode where I can take extreme close up shots. I was told that the Pentax Optio 440 or 550/555 series has these features, but no store around here carries them and, it appears that those models are no longer produced.

The camera I've got now is a Kodak DX7630 and while it does macro shots like most cameras, it doesn't do extreme close ups. It might do extreme close up with add-on lenses, but as far as I can tell Kodak doesn't make one for this camera.

Suggestions please!

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:18 PM   #2

I have still got my Ricoh Caplio RR30 which doesn't perform too badly as close as 1cm. Now discontinued, but Ricoh have kept the 'as close as 1cm'capability in most of their cameras. Build quality is a lot better too. Have a look here, the GX at the top of the list looks pretty good or the G4 Wide.

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/lineup.html

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:24 PM   #3

You have some example photos you've taken with the close up macro? 1CM is amazing.

I think that even outperforms the Pentax series, I think they were 2 to 2.5 CMS.

Steve

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:31 PM   #4

The Fuji s602z also does 1cm focusing. This was replaced by the s7000, so it's worth checking if that has the feature too.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

Several in the Nikon coolpix series (5400, 950, etc.) have super macro modes that focus down to about 1 cm.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:48 AM   #6

LINEBACKER 2, bear in mind a couple of things. I am not a macro maestro by any means, I don't have a decent lighting set up and I've taken hardly any macro shots to date. Also these were taken this morning, again with not very good lighting, it's overcast here. You can see a few examples here though,

http://photobucket.com/albums/v489/S...Macro%20Shots/

All at 1cm, give or take a millimeter, no flash.

The Warwick Castle Album, although not any macros, were taken with the Caplio as well.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:31 PM   #7

That's actually quite decent my friend. Once you get the larger images of those shots, they're really detailed. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish soon. I've since ordered a set of close up lenses for my camera, so I'll be curious as to how this all unfolds.

If you do more macro shots, definately show them. Macro photography is just awesome.

I'll post some of my shots if and when I get them.

Steve

Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:30 AM   #8

the panasonic FZ series will focus to about 2cm using on-board macro feature, but with an adapter like the Phayee (~ $22.50 US) and a closeup lens like the Nikon 6T (~ $46 US), you can get some incredible macro shots using the powerful zoom. that setup also lets you focus from 10-12" (25-30cm) away from the subject, which is much better for lighting purposes.

here's a few pics taken with this set-up...

i could post some more, but you get the idea.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:21 AM   #9

Hey Linebacker,

MrPogo mentioned the Fuji S7000, and I can attest, it does do macros extremely well. Biggest thing is having enough light and contrast in the subject to lock focus. I have an example posted here from back in November, this one took a couple of tries because it locked focus on the ceiling instead of the subject. Subject matter might even interest you.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...764&forum_id=7
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote