Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

Hi i was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to clean my lens, I own a fujifilm s3000 and i want to clean my lens so it stays in tip top condition But im a little worried about cleaning the lens, I Want to make sure im doing it right so i dont harm any of the camera, I Have already bought a lens cleaning kit witch includes a lens cleaning cloth, lens cleaning solution and some little sticks that have a soft end (Possibly for getting anything little out of the lens?) Anyways i was wondering if anyone could explain to me step by step the best way to clean the lens of my fujifilm s3000

Thanks
Drummer.
Drummerboy12989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2

I use a super fine 600 grit sandpaper.

But seriously, the first step is prevention - don't ever touch the lens surface, and attaching a UV(0) or skylight filter (if your camera accomodates add-on filters) makes for cheap protection.

To clean - I use a bulb for dust, and a clean microfiber cloth only when absolutely necessary.There are adozen different schools of thought - some advocate cleaning fluid and lens tissues, some fluid and cloth, some microfiber. I hand-wash the cloth every other use or so and air-dry. Tiny scratches won't have much or any impact on photos, but there's really no excuse for allowing them to happen.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:54 PM   #3

Ok im not really a pro at the terms yet lol a bulb is a smaller lens brush isnt it?

Ive been looking for a lens brush but i wasnt sure if i could find one at such a place as wal*mart ??
Drummerboy12989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:22 PM   #4

The bulb being referred to is a rubber squeeze bulb about the size of a very bloated silver dollar with (usually) a soft camel hair brush attached at the output end. You gently squeeze the bulb to blow air through the brush to shoo away the loose dust that has landed on the lens. The whole idea is to get rid of the potentially abrasive dust without applying any pressure. Once the dust is gone, then use micro fiber cloth and / or microfiber or lense tissiue or pec pads and eclipse solvent to get any gunk off the lens.

If you use a solvent such as eclipse, always apply it to the cloth and never to the lens directly. Then gently wipe in circular motion from the center.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:07 PM   #5

I wanted to point out something that you should not do.
Definitely do not use eye glasses cleaning fluid. They can react very badly with the coatings that are on camera lenses.

What has been stated in the other posts seem reasonable to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote