Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:39 AM   #11

Default DivX --> VCD/SVCD

Well.. DivX can be encoded to VCD (Video CD) or SVCD (Super Video CD), and almost all DVD-palyers can read VCD and SVCD. Nero can encode and burn VCDs and SVCDs but you must have somekind of svcd-patch (which isn't a free product).
Read more about nero: http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#root

About that APEX -product and other DVD/DivX -palyers I really don't know anything..
jkdigiteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:11 AM   #12

I don't like VCD, poor quality. SVCD only allows about 20min or so per CD. As yet DVD burners are too expensive.

I think I'll have to wait until I can afford a DVD burner and DVDr discs are reasonably cheap. What I don't want is to end up with dozens of CDs in place of a few 3 hour VHS tapes.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 12:43 PM   #13

Default Re: DivX --> VCD/SVCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdigiteam
Well.. DivX can be encoded to VCD (Video CD) or SVCD (Super Video CD), and almost all DVD-palyers can read VCD and SVCD. Nero can encode and burn VCDs and SVCDs but you must have somekind of svcd-patch (which isn't a free product).
Read more about nero: http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#root

About that APEX -product and other DVD/DivX -palyers I really don't know anything..
But your DVD player will have to play CD-Rs. Not all of them do. My 4 yeard old Sony doesn't. It does VCD, put not if its on a CD-R. But mine does play DVD-Rs.

Just something to think about.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:27 PM   #14

Default Re: Video Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSKHAN
Hello All, i have one quick question. I need to compress videos from a minidv camcorder. The raw file is 2gb and i wann get it down alot.

I want to convert to .avi, or anything else. But i want to stay away from .wmv or .ra.

Whats a good program for conversion?? I want a program which is relatively fast, "medium" output quality,and not very expensive.

Thanks.
Everything you could ever want to know about video compression VCDhelp. They also have excellent user forums. Good luck.
fhvideos is offline   Reply With Quote