Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2002, 7:18 PM   #1

Default MY 1st day, 1st question: Need great camera for low light.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I've been using the Nikon Coolpix900 since it came out several years ago. It is as s l o w as molasses and has several "old-age" problems.

I take a lot of low light level pictures in a fairly large auditorium. Since the distance is too far for flash, I only use available light. Of course I use a tripod, but I want a camera with at lease 3x optical zoom (more is fine) that will do a good job. I need one that will focus with lower light levels too. Most of the time there is a spotlight on the subject(s).

I'd appreciate your suggestions.
regards, Tom B.
Tombliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 7:37 PM   #2

Well I will throw my 10 cents in here as I am still a newbe, but from what I have read you need a lot of glass (large lens diamiter), F2 or lower, not a pocket type camera, but more like a real good SLR.
I could be wrong, but I think film is more senitive to low light than a CCD, but if I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected by the experts, and we will both learn something.
Many years ago I used to take some low light pictures using my Pentax K1000 and ASA 400 film at schools and concerts, but digital is all new for me.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 7:50 PM   #3

I have an Olympus 2100uz. I have had very good success with it in low light situations.
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 8:02 PM   #4

The Oly C4040 and C5050 have one of the best optics for low resolution. Read Steve's reviews. I have the C4040 and found it to work well in low light.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 9:36 PM   #5

If you dare get into the dSLR type camera you should see what the Fuji S2 Pro can do at high ISO's. 1600 is very usable with low noise..
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:07 AM   #6

Another suggestion: Fuji S602. Has very usable higher ISO, and a 6x lens. Also the Sony F707/717, which has a good focus assist system. The Canon G2/G3 also has a focus assist light.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 4:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick response.

This gives me a lot to look at. I've always thought the Oly was a good choice and I've been looking at the Fuji too.

Regards, Tom B.
Tombliz is offline   Reply With Quote