Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:05 PM   #1

I just picked up a Panasonic PZ20 and I am extreamly impressed with the pictures it takes. But on the other hand I am wondering if I made the right choice. I am willing to spend up to $600 american (I live in maryland). I have plenty of time to return this panasonic to circuitcity. So which 10X-12X optical zoom camera is the very best on the market for $600 or less.

So I have been looking at the minolta Z5

Nikon coolpix 8800

FinePix S5100

Kodak Easyshare DX7590<< Has no IS but looks like a nice camera

Or should I just stick with the Panasonic FZ20? I mean I am impressed with it so far.

Thanks in advance for your input, and I hope to hear some constructive oppinions.
ProStreetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:40 PM   #2

I own both a FZ10 and FZ20. I believe the Leica F2.8 lens combined with image stabilization, five megapixel sensor, very fast burst rate, very fast pre-focused shutter lag, full manual capabilities, three metering options, along with several focusing options is hard to beat for this type of camera and price.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:44 PM   #3

Hi, i think that your message should be in the What camera should i buy? forum.

I also looking for a 10X-12X optical zoom camera. I think i will go with the Dimage Z5.

It's 200$ less than the FZ20, has anti-shake etc...

Have a look here.http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/km...005_z5_pr.html
kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:30 PM   #4

kadok6330 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, i think that your message should be in the What camera should i buy? forum.

I also looking for a 10X-12X optical zoom camera. I think i will go with the Dimage Z5.

It's 200$ less than the FZ20, has anti-shake etc...

Have a look here.http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/km...005_z5_pr.html
Quote:
From what I have seen the Z5's pics turn out sorta fuzzy. So far this FZ20 is clear and very sharp. I just want the BEST camera with 10X-12X optical zoom for $600 or less.
ProStreetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

You can't beat these pics here, Fugi S5100, "Best bang for the Buck" superzoom Yet!,

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu.../gallery.shtml

Even the video at this linkis great!

I get comparable results!
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:58 PM   #6

I don't know if I agree that the Fuji S5100 is the 'best bang for your buck' exactly. I concidered purchasing one while I was in the market for a super zoom camera and wound up going with the Panasonic instead. It justified the extra bit on the pricetag for me, at least. This all comparing the FZ-20 from Panasonic to Fuji's S5100.
  • Fuji's has 4 megapixels, Panasonic has 5.[/*]
  • Panasonic has a Flash Hotshoe, Fuji doesn't.[/*]
  • Fuji's resolution maxes at 2272x1704, Panasonic 2560x1920[/*]
  • Fuji's zoom, 37-370mm. Panasonic, 36-432mm.[/*]
  • Fuji's digizoom, 2.2x. Panasonic, 4x.[/*]
  • Fuji doesn't have image stablization, Panasonic does.[/*]
  • Fuji's LCD is 1.5", Panasonic's 2"[/*]
  • Panasonic's EVF has 15k more pixels[/*]
  • Panasonic has more Color Modes[/*]
  • Fuji has 4 Scene Modes, Panasonic has 9
[/*]
There's other things I took into account as well, overall look, the image stablization, the Leica lens, and the additonal zoom. Fuji's digital zoom I believe is effected by the resolution you're shooting at, but I saw it quoted in the specifications at 2.2x while elsewhere it says it can go up to 3.6x. But the zoom is also supposed to be a direct crop from the image rather then really blowing it up. I'm not sure if the interpolation type zoom Panasonic uses or the crop Fuji uses is more clear. I know Panasonic also retains the f2.8 through the full zoom while Fuji goes to 3.2. I also much prefer the Panasonic's Manual Focus Assist, where it magnifies the center of your screen so that you can more closely focus on your subject and fine tune your manual focusing. I've personally had bad experience with my AA type digital camera chewing through Rechargable batteries, so I much prefer the Panasonic's Li-Ion rechargable pack. But I haven't found an actual measure of how the two cameras compare on their respective battery life.

All in all, my final judgement to go with the Panasonic was that if I was going to spend a good chunk of money and invest in a nice camera, I wasn't going to try and cheap out by fifty or a hundred dollars and settle for a little less. And I don't regret a dime of the money I spent on my FZ-20, it's been an awesome camera for me. I've done shots hanging out the window of a moving car, in the mountains in the rain (with protection of course), on the beach, in bright sun, sunrise, sunset, no light, dim light, and found it to be an excellent camera for everything i've done with it so far.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:46 PM   #7

You should not jump too quickly until you see what the Sony H1 will deliver. Form early impressions, it will be quite attractive and definitely it will be FAST!!!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...005_h1_pr.html
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:55 PM   #8

Requiem, the Panasonics generally cost more, plus it is bigger, & heavier, and has a poor video mode,which is more important to me,,, Sure the Pani is better for snapshots, but compare what else the competition has in this class, the Fugi is still better for the money, by the way, the Fugi goes from F2.8 - 3.1 at full zoom, and battery usage is surprisingly good, I found it even better then the S1.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:50 PM   #9

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
You should not jump too quickly until you see what the Sony H1 will deliver....
Hello Meryl:

5.0 Megapixels? Excuse me? Hellohello is this thing on? :G

F2Guy
F2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:26 PM   #10

Stabilization is a great feature on a long zoom. It also gives excellent wide angle available light capabilities. You might want to wait for some reviews on the Sony H1 and Panasonic FZ5. The FZ5 is smaller but has no hot shoe and the H1 will likely have that great Sony night vision capability.

The KM Z5 goes to f4.5 and the Nikon 8800 to f5.2 at full zoom. You lose a lot of the advantage of stabilization at full zoom. But the Nikon is 8Mp if you want big prints.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote