Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:35 PM   #1

Default picture taking help

do you think you can help me out with some picture taking..okay below are some pics ive been trying to take..but when I try and take it the pics come out either, grainy, dark, kinda blurry, or the puppy is out of focus..any suggestions on to get a clearer picture of the dog? both pics were F5.8, shutter speed of 1/50, and a ISO of 250..the camera is a Sony DSC-P2

jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:57 PM   #2

jeri,
I guess the white curtain(?) on the left side fool the patern metering mode. Try spot metering if available , or zoom more in to avoid the curtain in the metering frame.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:34 AM   #4

Kcan is right. Use spotmetering or centerweighted if you can.

You should go much closer - maybe use the macrosetting but it depends on the cameras abillity. Use a flash too pointing straight up.
You could also go closer, use same metering - and place the camera on a tripod or steady place - long shutter.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:09 AM   #5

The photos appear that you are not using a flash. Is this true?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:56 AM   #6

Jeri,
luc3.jpg seems ok to me, but because of the black shiny texture of his/her (whisker??) , itís kind of difficult to have a good pic with a direct flash ( like weeding satin dress problem) .
I would try to use a remote (slave) diffuse flash at another angle, or to the ceiling, and at the same time avoid the reflection of the eyes.
May be a studio strobe with umbrella will bring it to the best? If itís within your budget .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:26 PM   #7

Jeri,

This is what I did with your lab puppy first picture. It only took a few minutes, but sorry to say, there is not much more to get.

The exposure is way wrong. Yes, the detail is there and enough information in that small file that some correction can be appliet but still very poor.

But, your main problem (first pic) was the white on the left! If you have center weight exposure on your camera use it. The flash worked as seen by the lights in the dogs eyes but the exposure was balanced for the left side of the picture.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:08 AM   #8

thanks for the tips..is there a way to get a clearer, sharper image?
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote