Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

Hello all.....Does anyone have any info on what may be used to replace the Merc type PX 13 batts in the Luna Pro. I have searched and found many with the 4145 Battery adapter supplied by BOGEN from B&H but have been out of stock for months. I have also heard that using the alkaline replacement batts does not give accurate readings at all on the meter. There is also an MR-9 adapter kit for each battery with a cost well above 60.00 for both batts w/ shipping and does not include the silver oxide replacements. I am also aware of the Wein Air cells but are also hard to come by locally and do not provide too much life. Is there anyone using a different source for their older Luna Pro? Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Is the Alkaline theory a myth? There is also text under the battery compartment of my LUNA that is printed "IEC MR 9" Anyone have this or knows what it is? Thanks for replies.
dpbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2

Hmmm. The text below the battery compartment on my Luna Pro reads; "2 Batt. Mallory PX 625 o. PX 13"

I am using Duracell alkaline batts designated PX265a with no apparent change in accuracy or sensitivity. There may be some changes in operation as the cells reach depletion since alkaline battery terminal voltage drop-off is different than mercury batteries. I haven't yet experienced depletion of the first set on alkalines.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:04 PM   #3

Thanks Jawz....Either your LUNA Pro is newer or older because the alkaline is not a good thing for my GOSSEN. I have posted this in other sites and received the same answers regarding not using alkalines. Mine does read [2 Batteries IEC MR 9] ubder the compartment. I just may have to contact BOGEN or else just purchase the adapter Kit. , I don't even want to try the alkalines in case of possible damage. It has worked wonderful with the PX13's but now I'm screwed.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

For what its worth, my Luna Pro is ~35 years old.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:17 PM   #5

Jawz....After numerous searches and other forums regarding this issue, it has become apparent that the unit I have is a newer type unit and may require the use of alkaline PX625's or PANASONIC cross references to MR9's. There is nothing forementioned in or on my GOSSEN that PX13's were used except in a photocopy of the user manual which states MALLORY PX13. I guess I will have to try the 625's. Like I said before, the battery compartment on mine says IEC MR 9 which crosses to a DURACELL PX625. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:38 PM   #6

dpbel-
Until your post, I hadn't given the alkaline battery substitution a second throught. When I ran out of mercury-zinc batteries I just went to a local durgstore that usually has a full range of camera/watch/hearing aid batteries and picked up the PX265a. I stuck them in the Luna Pro, pressed the battery check slider and the needle indicated at the top end of the red zone, so I figured all is cool.

Now after thinking about it (and doing some poking around the web myself) I think that using the alkalines is a stop-gap. I may have stumbled into a set of alkalines that were aged when I bought them. With the mercury-zinc batteries, I rarely did battery check, except when I hadn't used the light meter for a long time. Now I think I will have to make it a habit to do a battery check each time I use it. I believe that as long as the needle stays in the red zone that the EV reading will be accuate.

I also think that I will start checking out a replacement light meter. <sigh>