Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Depth of Field greater w/ Digital vs 35mm film

I read that depth of field in digital cameras is significantly greater than that of a 35 mm camera.

Does this mean that when using a digital camera that I will have a difficult time taking a portrait shot and trying to blur the background.

I was looking at the Oly c-5050 and this has a very low f-stop of 1.8. Will this be good enough to blur the backgrounds on portraits?

If the camera can't do this, how hard is it to blur the background using software?
Dave T9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:04 AM   #2

Default Re: Depth of Field greater w/ Digital vs 35mm film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T9
If the camera can't do this, how hard is it to blur the background using software?
It’s not that hard, you just have to select the area to apply a “blur” with various selection tools, but the delicate thing is to make the “frontier” between the blured area and the other , natural and not have a “cut and paste” look. A “smudge” pass on the line would help usually .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:48 PM   #3

The short answer is that you have to work for a digi image not to be sharp. Look at http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/index.html
Part of it is quite technical but there is a table which gives depthof field / distance of subject/ focal length for two types of cameras. I got it off of another board but I feel it is must reading for anyone who is a serious digiphotographer. As I get into it I find that it is a medium in its own right.
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote