Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:48 PM   #1

Default FUJI FINEPIX 3800 - low light question

I've been considering buying the fuji 3800 but am concerned about the issues that people mention with the low light problem. I was wondering in what circumstances do you consider it low light? Just in, say, school performances and dusk, or when-ever you are indoors? How much does the flash help? I see that there is also a night option - does that help in some of these instances? While I'd be using the camera mostly for family functions and the like, I'm also interested in the more advanced features of this camera and it fits well into my budget, so I'd like to know how much of a problem the low light might be.

Thanks for the help!
coppernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 7:10 AM   #2

You're as confused as i was. The camera takes a FABULOUS night picture ... glorious really. Problem is, you can't see a fecking thing you're shooting!!! The EVF is a bitch 'cos if it's say ... in a bar/nightclub at night, you can't see a thing, you have to guess where you're shooting and hope for the best.

It's the opposite to a 35mm camera. I find 35mm cameras make it look like you're going to get a good shot but they're terrible in the dark whereas the fuji makes it look like you're going to get a crap shot but it takes a great one.

Go figure.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:15 PM   #3

Thanks Alfisti! This is been the one big thing that's been holding me back. A friend of mine who's a good photographer said that he often just puts his hand up over his head and shoots blind and gets great results. I guess that's the way to go with this too.
coppernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:30 PM   #4

My first cam didn't have EVF. I used to point in the dark, watch the lcd refresh in front of me (always amazed it took a pic at all!), shoot again if the framing was out. Bit like pi***ng in the wind. The big prob was always AF though. But never tried a laser pointer with it.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote