Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:44 PM   #11

BTW, Glider, I find a lot of things more expensive in Canada, and I don't understand it. If it were up to me, I'd charge Canadians less.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:23 AM   #12

Default You're right.

I've just checked the rates of exchange, and I see that it's the markups that are killing us here. The distributors and/or the retailers just aren't willing to cut us a good deal. I'm going to wait a while longer before I buy anything. Certainly no sooner than the new year. Then I'll buy "last years" product when the new stuff comes out.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:21 AM   #13

Default Re: You're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider
I've just checked the rates of exchange, and I see that it's the markups that are killing us here. The distributors and/or the retailers just aren't willing to cut us a good deal. I'm going to wait a while longer before I buy anything. Certainly no sooner than the new year. Then I'll buy "last years" product when the new stuff comes out.
You're not wrong, i was in NY recently and the price of electrical goods is staggering.

In saying that, whilst i saved approx. $CDN400 on my camera package because i bought it from the states, it's been a hassle and i am still trying to get the dickheads to send me the right lens adapter :roll:
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 7:39 PM   #14

:shock: Alfisti, ya gotta be careful where you buy in the states. I'll bet B&H will beat the pants off a Canadian dealer, and you shouldn't have any problems with them -- unless you ask for the wrong thing. I married into a Cape Breton family, so I have a place up there for snowbirding. I am shocked by the prices and don't see how people survive on local salaries. They are such nice folks, and they really get the shaft economically.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 10:27 PM   #15

Default B&H?

Ok, I'll bite. Who the heck is B&H? (Bell and Howell? Surely not?)
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:33 PM   #16

:shock: Wow, smart a**, you must be an old man like me to remember Bell & Howell. I don't know what B&H stands for, but if you watch these posts, you'll see that them recommended over and over again as the best place to buy in New York, if not in the country. Check it for yourself. I was just trying to do you a favor. Feel free to spend your hard earned dough wherever you please.

Their Web address is bhphotovideo.com.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:34 AM   #17

Nah this was cheapwer than B+H .... i grabbed a Fuji 3800, 8 batteries, charger, 3 lens filters, wide anfle lens, telephoto lens and a camera case for $US495.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochance
:shock: Wow, smart a**, you must be an old man like me to remember Bell & Howell. I don't know what B&H stands for, but if you watch these posts, you'll see that them recommended over and over again as the best place to buy in New York, if not in the country. Check it for yourself. I was just trying to do you a favor. Feel free to spend your hard earned dough wherever you please.

Their Web address is bhphotovideo.com.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course I'm old!! I imported an RB67 from the USA in 1974! (When I was a starving photography student.) Cost me 700 bucks! (I got quite a shock yesterday when I found out they're still being made, and that they now cost over $2000 at Vistek! :shock: :shock: )
Hey, thanks for doing me the favour of telling me B&H's URL. I will be checking them out for sure!
Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:58 PM   #19

8) Ah, well, if you old like me you're entitled to be cranky like me.

Have fun. :P
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:34 PM   #20

Default OK, what kind of digital

Yes, B&H is the reputable New York dealer, so is Unity. com Photo where I got my Fuji S1... Wolfe's in Topeka, Ks is where I got my Fuji S2 and fantastic delivery, service. "24 hours"......

There are bad people out there that you want to stay away from.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote