Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:31 AM   #1

Default My fellow Canadians................

I've been looking at the prices for digital cameras and photo printers up here in the Great White North, and I see that even a competetive camera store like Vistek sells these things for a little more than the list price of the items in the USA + exchange. Are the distributors up here importing from the USA now instead of Japan? The northern peso has held its own against the Japanese Yen for the most part, so wtf is going on? Are we getting hosed? Is there some place that sells below the equivalent of the US list price? Please let me know if there is. These toys are way too expensive for what you get as it stands. :x
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:49 AM   #2

Perhaps these model variants have to have special snow lenses, filters and metering to get the right exposure in snow and work at lower temperatures!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 7:11 AM   #3

I am an Aussie in Canada for a year and it wa scheaper to uimport the camera from the US than but it from Henry's.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:03 AM   #4

whether or not "These toys are way too expensive for what you get as it stands" is your call and really will not make a difference where youre at!!!
As far as Vistek and Henrys are concerned, they are more expensive by a very small amount, and that does have to do with duties, but also with the fact that the buying power of monsters like B&H photo etc cannot be matched by the Toronto market.
Now whether or not we are gettting "hosed"..., you can choose not buy from local places like that, but don't complain for items you cannot find locally or help you cant get once these stores go under from no sales.
I just bought my olympus 5050 from Henrys last saturday (my fifth camera from them) and feel good knowing that if i have any problems, i can just walk down to the store and have them look at it, help or fix it. That alone is worth the extra couple of bucks.

By the way, voxmagna is partly right; they are so expensive due to the extra insulation they need as we sore all our camera stuff in the igloos we all live in up here :!:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5

Do they add extra protection against bacon also?
fjalstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:41 AM   #6

yeah, o.k.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:53 AM   #7
jww

Default US Cameras to Canada

One issue regarding importing electronics between US and Canada is that you can run into warranty problems. Depending on the manufacturers, they sub-contract service to local depots and repairshops - and sometimes these shops are only authorized to service units built for sale in the country where they operate their business.

I have done a fair bit of cross-border shopping over the years, and have found that the financial advantage is often so minimal, that it isn't worth the effort. For example, say you can get an Olympus 4000 for - around $400 at an on-line retailer (OK you might find it cheaper if you check E-bay). Add in shipping of roughly $50 US and you are now at just over $700 CDN (at a very good conversion rate of $0.64). Then you have to pay GST when it comes into the country at the CDN converted rate (Customs Canada doesn't use the going bank rate - usually a basis point or two higher) - so add in another $50 CDN. You may also be subject to a customs/duty cost - depending on whether the specific item is considered Free Trade or not. Then don't forget the Canada Post 'handling fee' - another 5 bucks. In the end, you aren't really saving anything more that what appears to be about $40.00 off the going Futurshop price.

Instead, you could take some time on the web and print out a copy of the Futureshop e-store add as well as a copy of the cameracanada.com add for the unit, then go into your local Futureshop store and ask for price match. You end up walking away with a brand new c-4000z for $738 CDN plus applicable taxes (only real savings then is that you don't pay PST to the on-line store).

If you are going into the US on an extended trip, it might be worth your while to purchase whlie away (minimum 5 days, I think) but make sure you do your homework first.

Just an opinion, your mileage may vary.

JWW
jww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
I have imported cameras and lenses from the USA in the distant past, but that was in the mid '70's and back then saving 40 or 50 bucks was worth it to a starving photography student. I quickly learned that importing lenses was fairly risk free, but cameras were another story. My RB67 was thoughtfully shipped to Canada with an "international" warranty card. I was given a break by the then importer of Mamiya products in Canada when I had to have the camera repaired. Twice! That was kind of them, but I won't make that mistake again. Lenses and accessories are ok to import if it's worth the bother, but I would not recommend cameras.

Perhaps I should be asking if it's usual to pay full list for digital cameras and photo printers in the USA? Or is the "street" price usually lower?
In the old days the competition was so fierce that you got exactly what you paid for with a camera purchase. I'm not so sure that that's the case with these digital products. I'm thinking that perhaps the markups are much higher all down the line. :x
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:24 PM   #9

Well I'm glad I'm in the 'Euro Zone' reading all this! Mail order from France, Germany, Scandinavia etc - no extra taxes to pay for free trade!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:42 PM   #10

8) Glider, as an old film shooter, digital pricing seems to be different. You can get some digital cameras for significantly less than suggested retail in the US, but it seem to be hit or miss. I saved over $400 off list on my D60 (USA warrantee), but most of my stuff was pretty close to list.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote