Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:00 AM   #1

Default EVF vs. OVF

In the 'viewfinder wars,' who generally prefers electronic viewfinders & who generally prefers optical viewfinders, and why?

Thanks for your input.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlz
In the 'viewfinder wars,' who generally prefers electronic viewfinders & who generally prefers optical viewfinders, and why?
Thanks for your input.
- OVF pro: nicer image, good definition
- OVF con: bad in low light , not “WYSIWYG” ( the E-10/E-20 have something special, but I did not try them so can’t comment)
- EVF pro: “WYSIWYG” , reflect the real look of the pic recorded, WB/filters effects included ( speaking for D7i), make manual shooting a piece of cake
- EVF con: actually not that high resolution, pixelized look, not that comfortable to rely on to judge on focus and DOF; use some precious battery power.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:37 PM   #3
lg

Default More EVF pros...

- EVF pros: can read camera menus even in strong sunlight; for cameras with long zooms and manual focusing, WYSYWYG is a very big +. For cameras with focus assist, can use even in total darkness.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:55 PM   #4

So, the E-10 has an OVF?
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:17 PM   #5

all the above are correct. I will only add that if you are used to focusing with ovf's there is no substitute. I took a look at the nikon 5700 and minolta 7i evfs and they do not come close to the focusing ability of the ovf's. But only for slr use where you see what comes through the lens; and yes, the E10/20 have ovf's, but they get their image through an image-spliting prism, not a mechanical mirror.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:06 PM   #6
NHL

I would add real-time histogram as well as the 4x magnification for manual focusing benefit (really needed if your vision is impaired by age or for night shots) with the EVF.

http://www.quiknet.com/~frcn/Histograms.html

Directview optical is definetly faster... This is a classical trade-off between weight and electronic whizbang! you either going to like it (or hate it!), so make sure to try it.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote