Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:23 AM   #1

Hi,

I have designed a web site for myself and some friends, just after some opinions really!

Thanks

Grant

oh, web address!

http://www.35millimetre.com/
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:17 AM   #2

I guess none of you liked it then :sad: !!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:15 AM   #3

Nice site but a bit slow. Possibly that's because of the Atlantic Ocean getting in the way!

I wasn't able to view all the images but of those I could see, I like the photos of Steven Gray the best. They are simple but have bold colors and patterns that literally jump out at you.

Of your pictures, I like the color shots the best. Your B&W shots don't do much for me. I think it is a lack of contrast. In my opinion, the pictures are somewhat drab.

The presentation of the pictures on the site is very tastefully done. The bright white background really enhances the pictures. Navigation is very slow and frequently stalls. I don't know if it is the distance or actually problems on the server.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments, I was just wondering, are you on dial-up? Because yes I agree the site is a bit slow on dial up, but not painfully so, I know this as I have written scripts to check browser types and how long it takes to download the page. Plus I only have dial-up at work and checked.

I also think we have experienced one of the pitfalls of portfolio sites, there is no way of telling how you have your monitor set up, the black and white are actually very punchy, fare enough there not to your taste. I just raise this issue as you said 'The presentation of the pictures on the site is very tastefully done. The bright white background really enhances the pictures.' The background is actually grey.

Anyway thanks for the comments they are very helpful.

Grant
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:06 AM   #5

Your initial post was probably missed because of the shear volume of posts coming into this site. It is a great site but the volume of posts is overwhelming. :blah:

I like the nice clean design, it is fairly fast loading for me (I'm on 5mb link at moment). And everything that had links worked. I checked it out with both my native FireFox 1.0.1 and IE6 it looks and feels the same in both browsers.

Only things I did not like was getting a page full of fairly large images for each link and having to scroll through them. IMHO: I would have preferred a toenail view somewhere that lets you select the main image being viewed (even if you pre-download them all at page load time for speed).

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:42 AM   #6

I considered the thumbnail approach but so many people these days block there pop ups, thus rendering that aspect useless.

Again thanks for the comments.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:54 AM   #7

Not necessarily pop-ups, maybe use frames. Here is an example siteDark Fairiesof what I mean.I am not associated with this site or shooter.

I'm thinking of both the having to scroll, and the peoplewho can't get broadband.

Peter.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:47 AM   #8

quite ironically, it does not work :-)

i would be very weary of frames, browsers are notoriously bad at rendering them.

i like that he has taken into consideration two monitor sizes.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9

Too true, and the only other way I can think of doing it is with a product I don't even like to mention. The dreaded flash site. I must say I really dislike that product and the sites produced with it.:whack:

Peter.