Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1

I have a canon A75 and since I got a massive fisheye lense, I cant use the flash because it blocks most of it.

In person, the ledges right in front of me were lit well enough to see them. In the photo you can clearly see it is all black, you cant even make out lots of the objects. I dont want to get an external flash, so cant I change some setting to make the photos brighter? ISO?
s5pitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2

Really, an external flash is your only real option. You could try making sure you are shooting "wide open" with slow shutter speeds to get the most out of your lens, though I doubt that would help much, and would require a tripod. Also, higher ISO's would help, but would result in a lot of noise. You have to remember that what we see and what the camera sees are often 2 very different things. Our eyes are much more sensitive to light than either the camera sensor or even film. A good example is even a well lit gymnasium is considered a "low light" shooting situation. Besides even though inconvenient to carry, an external flash is one thing that will really improve all your photos, not just low light/nighttime photography.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:00 PM   #3

Certainly, a little PhotoShop can help:

Attached Images

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:07 PM   #4

The obvious solution is an external flash. However, since you can't or don't want to purchase one right now, here are some possible suggestions.

If your camera has a night preset, try using that. You can increase the ISO setting but that will introduce more noise. If you can operate the camera in manual, a good starting point for night shooting is 30 seconds at f8 with ISO 100. ISO 200 would only require 15 seconds at f8. Obviously a good tripod is required.

If you use full auto, leave the flash closed or off. Use exposure compensation of -1.0. Otherwise, the picture will be too light. The auto-exposure system will try to make the exposure equivalent to 18% gray by lightening the image.

Good luck
Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5

k thanks guys. ill use the nightshot mode, and maybe purchase an external flash soon.
s5pitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6

s5pitfire, This is also a tool that may help called PhotoFlare. Its patented Retinex image enhancement can help brighten some seemingly way underexposed photos or unerexposed regions. It doesn't always do better than PSP or PS. But as an altermative method, it can help where other editors may fail. It is worth a try. It does cost $70 or you can get the PS plugin for $40. The plugin did not work with PSP9 when I tried it.

PhotoFlare:
http://www.truview.com/

Enjoy,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote