Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Advice on buying online

Have any members bought a camera online with A&M Photo World (www.amphotoworld.com). They are selling the fuji s602Z for $414.00 which seems very cheap compared to other suppliers. Is there any catchs or has anybody had a bad experience with them.

Also should I consider the FinePix 6900Z as a cheaper alternative or would I be better saving for the s602.

Any help would be much appreciated.
les cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Not looking good, every customer comment left at resellerratings.com is "dissatisfied."

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

That's a "stay away or else" in my book.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Not looking good, every customer comment left at resellerratings.com is "dissatisfied."

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

That's a "stay away or else" in my book.

-Steve
Thanks for the advice Steve.
les cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 12:00 PM   #4

There is probably a catch. Either its grey market, or the classic case where theu don't have it in stock, but one will magically appear in stock when you order a battery charger (the battery charger that actually comes *with* the camera) along with it. Beware of these scams.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:12 PM   #5

8) I have bought many camera bodies and lenses as well as digital P&S's from B&H and Adorama over 30 years. I would be very reluctant to buy from any other on-line supplier because I have heard too many horror stories. (I have bought from Ibuy when they were $200-$400 cheaper than B&H. I got to know a guy there and always deal with him.)

I have found that you just don't save enough to justify the risk of dealing with suppliers you don't know darned well to be honest. How much risk are you willing to take for a few bucks ammortized over several years of use? It's not worth it.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:15 PM   #6

8) BTW, I sometimes buy grey market if I can save enough, but, I can afford a reasonable risk. I have never had a problem with grey market merchandise from a top supplier.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:46 PM   #7
BRJ

My Goodness! You must be an "Oldhand".
BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:42 AM   #8

Don't even. B&H is probably the highest prices advertised, but they are the TRUE price. Anyway, they are cheaper than any local retailer already, so don't be greedy. Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. You can depend on them. If they say it's in stock, it'll be shipped that day. NOBODY else (including Adorama) is honest about "in stock". If you want to become the next complaint, go ahead and order from somebody else. (I ordered X, but they sent Y, and when I called, they were rude, it's been 6 weeks, and still no X...)
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 1:03 PM   #9

I have done business with bridgeviewphoto.com, with no problems.They also have a good rating.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:21 PM   #10

Default bizrate.com

Check out the prices on http://www.bizrate.com

Search for the camera. Click the compare prices button. Sort by price. Scroll to you see a store that is well rated.

A&M (aka broadway photo, aka something else I forgot) is a scan store, and these stores (cci camera, royal camera) are flagged at bizrate.com. Funny thing is, these horrible stores have a bizrate.com icon at the web sites!

Best price I've seen for the s602 is aabout $515.
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote