Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:24 PM   #1

I'm going to print some pics at a consumer photo lab, which uses AGFA equipment.

Do I need to be saving my pics in RGB or CMYK?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jev
lhtorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2

Not sure about Down Under, but in the US they expect the images in RGB. CYMK is usually for commercial work like magazines.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:44 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Slipe. Seeing as I'm a total amateur, I've got no need to worry about CMYK for a while yet...

Jev
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4
kex

Here's a link where you can read, why to use CYMK instead of RBG:
http://dx.sheridan.com/advisor/cmyk_color.html

however, I do never use CYMK and the pictures look good too!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Here's a link where you can read, why to use CYMK instead of RBG:
lhtorrie Asked if he or she should take photos to the local kiosk in RGB or CYMK. Your "why to use CYMK instead of RGB" link as an answer to that questions would presume you are saying consumer photofinishers can accept CYMK. I didn't know that.

All color printing is done in CYMK (or CYM on some home printers). But most consumer stuff like home inkjet printers take only the RGB file and convert it during the spooling process to CYMK. Even if the local photofinisher will accept CYMK I see no great advantage to converting yourself compared to having his 40 thousand dollar machine do it.

If your camera shoots in raw at higher than 8 bit depth, there might be some advantage to going right to CYMK or at least keeping the image in 16 bit until you do. It might be better to convert even an 8 bit image to CYMK before doing extensive manipulation. But just converting a RGB to CYMK in your computer rather than have the photofinisher's machine do the same thing doesn't seem to have any advantage. I'm trusting that kex has good reason for suggesting your local kiosk will take CTMK in the first place.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6
DBB

I don't want to get to technical, but the process of converting an image to CYMK, permenently alters it according to the separation algorythm...

Your home printer does this automatically, using options, that are not in technalise, and after experimenting, the layperson gets what they "like."

Which is of course the bottom line.

However if you convert an image, you reduce the options of the service bureau you are using. The result may very well an image that you are not satisfied with.

A CYMK image is "Fixed" in the sense that the proportion of CYM Black and true Black are no longer modifiable by the bureau, whereas their equipment can alter these proportions if the image was in RGB.

This is referred to as the color separation process: gcr, ucr, etc, etc...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:21 AM   #7

You've certainly cleared up my question guys - thanks for sharing your expertise.

Jev