Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2002, 1:09 PM   #1

Default Any Windows NT 4.0 Compatible Digital Cameras?

I have been looking to buy a digital camera for my father this Christmas, but am losing my mind! His company is still operating NT 4.0 and I can't find a nice camera that is NT compatible, besides the Sony Mavicas. I'd like to find a new model camera (2-3 Megapixels) that will work with this operating system. I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading your response.
lovetheblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2002, 1:28 PM   #2

Well, NT 4.0 has no USB support and the majority off digital cameras do...limiting your options greatly.

If you want to have more selection when choosing a camera I'd spend the extra money and get a new OS, like W2k or XP. Now, if you budget does not allow for those over-priced OSes I'd highly recommend Mandrake 9.0 or RedHat 8.0 Linux based operating systems...which are free to download off the net. They have USB and Firewire support by default.

Take Care
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 2:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The OS can't be changed because the company just won't allow an upgrade, so he's stuck with NT 4.0 for now.
lovetheblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:02 PM   #4

WinNT4 does support USB if you have Service Pack 6A installed.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:39 PM   #5

Lots of people are still running NT 4.0. Like another said, install the SP to get NT to support USB.

If the camera software won't work with NT 4.0, jsut get a USB card reader. If the machine running NT 4.0 is a notebook, a PCMCIA Adapter should work as well.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:00 PM   #6

NT 4.0 with SP6a supports USB ?! ..not to argue but, since when? Trying plugging in a USB device in and see what happens. I know of a 3rd Party USB driver for NT 4.0 (at $80.00 per client) but, I'd never recommend using it.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:33 PM   #7

I must concur with koruvs, I use NT4 w/ SP6A at work and I can't use USB on my machine. The only way someone would be able to interface with digital cameras with NT4 is using either an old camera with serial connection, or getting a SCSI PCMCIA card reader. I used to have NT4 on my box at home too, and finally gave in to Windows 2K in order to be able to use USB and firewire. Also had to get another 128MB of memory just so W2K would work as smoothly as NT4 was doing before. **** Microsoft! :P I don't know if it would work, but there are those USB to PS/2 adapters... never tried it, and I wouldn't advise you to try it yourself, God knows you may short circuit your digital camera by doing that! :P
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:44 PM   #8

Its not rocket science and a bit slow, even for 2Mpix - but there's always FlashPath adaptor as a last a resort.

My old cam had a serial interface, in this Mpix range there must be a few of these cams still about.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:48 PM   #9

I have looked at MS knowledge base and SP6a was to have been released with support for usb. I stand corrected as it appears that MS drop the support on the final release of SP6a. I am sorry.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:56 PM   #10

I'm sure I've seen parallel port to USB adaptors. I know parallel ports can be configured with SCSI miniport drivers (I've got a HD Backpack drive), so this might be worth looking into.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote